This Disappears When Logged In

Mollusks And Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by AmityReptiles, Oct 28, 2017.

1. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Hey there, I'm looking to add some mollusks into my Savannah monitor's diet, and wanted to see if anyone had some suggestions?
    I know some mollusks have a bad reputation for introducing harmful parasites... but are there any varieties that can be bought at a fish market that would be relatively safe? Would frozen snails be safe?

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Good question, but sadly I can't help with the answer. I would think frozen would be ok so long as they were whole with the shells still on, but I don't know for sure.

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Thanks for the response atleast. I went with flash frozen raw tiger moon snails. Ive heard thats how they make sushi safe is by flash freezing.
    Its surprisingly hard where I am to find raw frozen snails, most are cooked. If she likes these, I'm going to try clams and mussels.

Darkbird likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Let us know how it goes. I went through the same thing wanting to find whole uncooked shrimp. Not gonna happen anywhere near me, lol.

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`m not sure whether V. exanthematicus has salt secreting glands, in which case I would advise offering mainly freshwater types.

Darkbird and AmityReptiles like this.