This Disappears When Logged In

moist hide question

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by jengal, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Last week, the vet recommended that we make the AFTs moist hide out of little Terracotta pots because the clay retains moisture. I did that, but still don't feel that it's moist enough. I was thinking of putting moss inside, in the normal fashion. My leos really like it. However, since their environment is more arid, the moss doesn't attract bugs. Additionally, the vet said that moss can harbor fungi. I've heard of baking or boiling the moss. Should I go this route? If so, is baking or boiling preferable? It seems like baking might catch it on fire, but what do I know.

Anyway, I would appreciate your sharing your opinions on this matter.

Thanks very much,

Jennifer

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are using sphagnum moss there is no need to boil or bake it. Your vet is thinking of other types of moss. Spagnum contains a natural fungicide.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Are the pots the glazed ones or just the raw terra cotta? I've never had an issue using spaghnum moss(i think Rich recommended in an earlier post) I've never boiled it or done anything to it. I just submerse it in water every few days if it dries out. How have you modified the pot? Does it have a hole in the side as well as the top? You could try covering the top hole. It will help hold the humidity in.

4. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Re: moist hide question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Are the pots the glazed ones or just the raw terra cotta? "

They are raw terra cotta.

"I've never had an issue using spaghnum moss"

Where do you get it? I guess I could look on-line. I've gotten stuff from LLL before, maybe they have it.

"How have you modified the pot?"

I soaked it in water so it was work-withable, then chiseled out an opening for them to crawl into when the pot is laid upside down.

"Does it have a hole in the side as well as the top? You could try covering the top hole. It will help hold the humidity in. "

Yes, it does have a little hole in the top. Covering it is a great idea. Consider it done.

Thanks for your advice!

jen

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I get my spagnum moss from Home Depot. They sell both the long strain and the shredded. I have had no issues with mold, insects, etc.

The only issues I have ever encountered is when a leo has decided to use the hide as its toilet. The moisture and defecation do not work well together. lol

The easiest way to remedy that is to remove the MH for a few days forcing the leo to find another spot. Once it has, return the MH with fresh bedding and all should be good as the leo will continue to use the new found spot.

6. jengal

jengal Elite Member

Rich,

Excellent advice, as usual. I'm Home Depot bound today!

Jen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.