This Disappears When Logged In

Moglee and Tydus

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by briana1399, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

For the mealworms, just breed them yourself.
    Breeding Mealworms
    Its ridiculously easy! Go to the pet store and get a container, toss them into the culture and in a few weeks you will have more mealworms than you know what to do with!
    I haven't bought mealies in years!

2. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Oh!!!! Are they the brown ones?!? Ok I have a pet store that sells them I will breed my own!! I have two white tree frogs and two bearded dragons...will the meal worms produce too quickly for that??

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

actually I will just order them over the internet in a big pack to start it off...

4. Merlin

Sort of a light tan color. A beardie can go thru a lot of mealies!! And if you get a surplus you can always put them in a jar in the fridge to slow them down.

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Alright I read on that thing that you need a few aquariums....what do you use?
    And on the link you gave me it has them going into beetles how do you you do it?
    I only want them as worms. So suggestions on aquariums or anything?

6. Merlin

Actually I use sterilite boxes about the size of a shoe box. Usually have about 3 going. I start one with worms. That is the one I feed from. As I see beetles I move them to a second. When I see worms in the beetles' box I move the beetles to a third and just keep rotating the boxes.
    Does that make sense?

7. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

So the 1st box (the one you feed from) is empty by the time you need it for the beetles? Or no lol?

8. Merlin

LOL I think I did confuse you.
    The first box is your starter culture. You leave it alone until you start seeing the adult beetles.

When the beetles start appearing, you move the beetles into box number 2 to let them breed and lay eggs. At that point you can start feeding your lizards out of box number one.

Once you start to see worms in box number 2, that means that eggs have been laid and are hatching. At that point you can start transferring the adult beetles into a third box to start another round of egg laying.

By this time the number 1 box may be pretty much empty in the number of worms it contains. Depending on how many you started with and how many you are using. At this point depending on how many worms are left you can move them into Box number 2 and start Box number one over for the next group of beetles that you move when you see worms in box number 3.
    Its really MUCH simpler than it sounds.

9. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok that sounds easy once you explain it step by step...so how many (round about) did you start off with?

10. Merlin

100 worms

11. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Okay seems like these packs I'm looking at only start in 1000. That is a lot of worms. I feed my beardies crickets today!!! They ate quiet a few and they are so so cute when they eat! They wouldn't eat any greens or wax worms but I think thats because their belly's got full.
    I don't think they have drank anything...suggestions there?

12. Merlin

Feed the greens in the morning and hold off on the bugs till the evening.
    As for my start of mealies I just got them at the pet shop.

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I put greens in there but they haven't touched them. So I'll feed them later tonight....

14. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Sometimes poking the greens and making them look alive makes the dragons more interested. That or putting some yummy babyfood on them to flavor them better can help too.

15. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Okay!! Thanks!!

16. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I fed them crickets tonight my new ones should be here tomorrow I had them overnighted here...today I also fed them peas and turkey (baby food) and they loved it!!!! Although I think their bellies get full fast because they are so tiny. They are about 3-4 inches long. I'm going to say probably three. How many crickets do you think they should be able to eat in a ten minute period?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.