This Disappears When Logged In

Moglee and Tydus

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by briana1399, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Today I bought two bearded dragons! I was only shooting for one but I couldn't resist both. They are so tiny and so cute! I will have pictures on here soon. I wanted to ask about the cage though...it's a forty gallon I put a lot in there so they wouldn't be afraid to walk across a big open space like Merlin said. I got a water drip system and a water bowl so I have the water dripping in the bowl because everywhere I read says that most babies need to see water move to get to it. I put mustard greens in their cage for now and I bought newborn crickets and put two in there to see if they eat it. How soon should they start eating? They are very tame but is it safe to handle them right now?
    Obviously I named them Tydus and Moglee!
    Now I have a big collection and I think I'm going to stop myself here. I have
    Cassanova- Green Iguana
    Demonicus- White tree frog
    Tevok- White tree frog
    Geovanni Boecefis- Red tailed boa
    Tydus- Bearded Dragon
    Moglee- Bearded Dragon

Thanks for reading! Any answers for the questions would be great!:p

2. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

Hard to tell when they'll eat, but they will eat. Mostly protein when young.
    I have 2 and one was my sons. He lost interest early in the game so his... "Mr. Lizard" didn't get much handling. I handled mine a lot "Uncle Fester". I eventually took over for the both of them. Mr lizard didn't want to be touched but has since relaxed more. On the other hand Uncle Fester is Mr personality. He's always up on the glass begging for food if he sees me eating. I can pick him up and he's comfortable enough to eat out of my hand while in my hand.

One book I really recommend is called "Your Bearded Dragons Life" by Liz Palika. It covers everything and is also an entertaining read to boot.

When I first got them they were different sizes so I kept them separate but always side by side. One day I got a much bigger aquarium and tried putting them together. They've been together ever since, no fighting and I'm pretty sure they're both boys.

Have fun with them!

Linda

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thanks! Also can they have wax worms? ( I think those are the white ones)

4. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

I feed mine wax worms but they like meal worms better. Then again they're like people. They have likes and dislikes like anyone. Mine will eat wax worms but if they have a bowl with some wax and some meal they eat the meal worms first.
    As far as I can remember the rule of thumb for crickets is no bigger then the width of their head between the eyes. Someone can sure correct me if I'm wrong though.

Linda

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

No thats right. I started ordering mine from a reputable place. I hope anyways. Its just Fluker Farms but I was just wondering in general if they took a while to start to eat.

6. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Dragons are not social creatures, by housing them together we are forcing them to go against their nature. We must at all times strive to do what is best for the Dragon and not what is best for us. If we do not try and keep them as close to their natural environment as possible then we should never have taken them from the wild.

Tell us about your light set-up and what the temperature is inside the tank. Baby dragons love moving food and they should eat every day.

7. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

They will eat more insects as babies and move up to insects and veggies as they get older. Some people can house them together, but more often than not they need separating, so keep an eye out. They get along now because they are babies, safety in numbers.

Give them a week to settle in before you handle them.

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok I'm waiting for them to eat something. They are in a 40 gallon two larger pieces of wood a big hut thing... the have the UVB light and a ceramic heater. I am going to go today to get a thermometer/hydrometer today hopefully...the hot end of their tank pushes 100 the cooler end is around 74/75. I have a heating pad under their hut which is under their heat lamp. I have a dripping thing with water dripping into their bowl so the see the water moving and I have plants on the side of the cage toward the cool end. I plan on separating them when they get a little bigger they are just so tiny right now. I have two crickets in their cage and I have greens and apple in there too.

9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And make sure that you have them warm enough. Beardies like a bit more heat than what you are used to supplying.

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Should I have it about 100 degrees? They are pretty warm....but I can get it hotter...

11. Merlin

With babies you should have a basking spot of 105-110 degreees. Not the whole tank at that temp, just a basking area.

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok what should the cool side be reaching? 80ish?

13. Merlin

14. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I bought a book and read all of it except the breeding and the last part about a different kind of lizard. But there is just so much information!!! I'll go take a look at it. Do any of you buy your crickets online? If so where do you get them from? I found Welcome to www.flukersfarm.com you can order meal worms and crickets around the size I am looking for but all together it was34.32 for 500 crickets and 1000 meal worms. It was a lot of worms but they only come is thousands!!!

15. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

16. schlegelbagel

17. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

wow that is a lot cheaper than where I was looking. Thank you so much
    !!! I was going to pay 35 dollars for some crickets and meal worms!!!

18. schlegelbagel

Since its so cold outside, be sure to overnight them. It will cost more, but most places won't guarantee the shipment in the dead of winter unless you overnight them.

19. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

On flukers it is 22 dollars for 250 3/16in crickets. They are overnighted on there so maybe it would be better...does someone have to sign for them when they come because it is live?

20. schlegelbagel

Yes, you HAVE to get a signature. They can't sit outside either in the cold, or you will have dead crickets. I usually have mine sent to work.

The other places overnight them, its in the shipping section, before you give them your credit card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.