This Disappears When Logged In

Mites?

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by T-Rection, Jun 17, 2018.

1. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Today i noticed that there are hundreds of little tiny white bugs crawling all over the glass on the cool side of the tank. Condensation builds up at that side of the tank at night so i could see all these little lines zig-zagging all over the place on the glass and when i looked closer it was caused by all these tiny white bugs. Im assuming they are mites. I have never had mites before in any of my other pets enclosures so i have no idea what to do, are they harmful? are they caused by the humidity? and what should i do about them? Please help ASAP

2. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

UPDATE: i think they are grain mites, i thought there were comming from inside my encloure but i followed the trail of them back to where i keep my super worms and the whole cabinet is completely infested, there must be thousands of them. how do i get rid of them and kill them all? i have already taken my super worms outside and im cleaning everything down with lysol and soup and water right now. these little things were literally not here this morning and now all of the sudden there are thousands of them!

3. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

OK i have cleaned the whole wall unit and outsides of my tanks with lysol, then with water/soap/vinegar mix 3-4 times. the superworm container is outside still and ill deal with that in the morning when ill be able to see what im doing. But the vast majority of them are gone, however using a flash light i can see some of them are now inside my Savannah's substrate, im assuming thanks to the humidity they are going to multiply in there like crazy and i have no idea how to stop this :(

4. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Just saw this, don't worry, the grain mites are harmless and will die out on their own before too long once the food source is removed. I get these in my rat room every so often, especially when the humidity is high and I've been bad about keeping the room clean. A thorough cleaning of the racks and disposal of any contaminated food usually has them cleared up in a day or two.

T-Rection likes this.
  5. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Well thats a relief! thank you very much for the rely, i can still see a few of them walking around on my wall unit even after i cleaned everything who knows how many times but its nice to know they will die out on their own. But what about the ones inside my Savannahs enclosure? will they continue to live in there and spread more or will they die off as well?

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I'm trying to remember, but I believe they feed off the fungus that you get when grain or grain based foods get to much moisture. Mine seem to come from the rat food, and I'm actually dealing with them right now because it has been so humid here the food in the racks has been getting questionable. I would expect the ones in the sav's cage will die out fairly quickly. This is of course all assuming that you have the same mites I'm dealing with, without actually seeing them I can't be sure.

T-Rection likes this.
  7. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Thats good to know, i do believe we are having issues with the same type of mites, i believe mine also only showed up do to how hot and humid is has been where i live for the passed week (doesnt normaly get like this which is why i have never had an issue before) and it caused the oats i was keeping my superworms in to become a perfect breeding ground for them. For the time being i went and bought a new batch of supers and i have them set up in saw dust and woodchips now, as long as there is no grain products the mites should starve and die off.