This Disappears When Logged In

Mites?!

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by gapeachkatie, Jan 25, 2015.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

I am currently working for a non-profit nature conservation. We have a small zoo that has a rather large reptile collection. About a week ago, the black rat snake started showing signs of a mite infestation. Today, I noticed the Irian Jaya has is shedding oddly, asked the other keeper about it and he said he is often shedding lately. I started looking closer at him and noticed discoloration on his back. I then checked the water dish and sure enough saw mites in the water. I proceeded to clean and completely sanitize his enclosure, replace all substrate with newspaper and removed all decor for sanitation. I also checked the Northern Blue Tongue and he does not seem to have them, but did find one in his water dish. Did the same to his enclosure as I did the Irian Jaya.

Question is, what is the best way to treat a skink for mites? And is it possible for them to get snake mites? They are kept in the same room as the rat snake, so it seems logical to occur. Since it is a non-profit, just trying to find a way to treat the mites without spending a lot of money out of pocket.

2. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

I believe there are mite treatments for reptiles in general. Relatively cheap on amazon. to be safe you should quarantine the animal away from others. I don't know how it would work with a bts but when I had my Burmese I would soak him to smother the mites and then put mineral oil over the pits / eyes etc.. do the same thing. I used a hand steamer to clean the tank with distilled water too along with the décor.

murrindindi likes this.
  3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, there are no such thing as "snake mites", meaning mites that are specific to snakes (it`s a common misconception), they can infect lizards just the same. Better to describe them as "reptile mites".
    Blue tongue skinks are good candidates because their scales overlap.

4. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

This is my first ever experience with mites in over 6 years of keeping reptiles. What information I have was redirected to me a volunteer vet student on staff. I just figured I missed that chapter in my years of experience...

Anyways, the skinks have be completely quarantined. We did soak them, along with the rat snake, and now just trying to figure out an inexpensive continuous care solution. With this being a zoo setting, it is difficult to completely contain a mite outbreak for good. So just seeking any recommendations from those that have experience with this.

5. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member