This Disappears When Logged In

MITES! Why Me?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by CryHavoc17, Apr 15, 2014.

1. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Yup it's official as of last night. My collection has a mite infestation. Came up on three of the four snakes and probably the iguana though I haven't been able to check him yet..... was up most of the night treating snakes and disinfecting tubs/enclosures. Not 100% sure where they came from. Could've been at the last reptile show or I could've picked em up off a bag of cypress mulch from petco, hard to say which. Here's what ive done so far:

All snakes are now out of the contaminated reptile room. I had enough misc equipment laying to get everyone in temporary QT setups. Otis the ig will have to stay in the reptile room regardless if he has them or not, his cage is too hard to move.
    All hides, water bowls, and tubs have been thoroughly high level disinfected with a 10 min soak in 10% bleach solution.
    Anything not soakable (wood) has been thrown out.
    The most infected snake, Lil Bit, is being QT'd in a separate room from everyone else. She is severely infested, three soaks last night and they were still coming off in her tub.
    Everyone else came up with few or none, so they are being QT'd together in new tubs or tanks. Everyone is on paper towels for easy ID of mites.

The plan moving forward:
    I still need to break down the 4 foot cages, thats happening tonight. I also need to disinfect Otis' cage and see if I can ID them on him or not.
    I have Provent-a-mite on FedEx overnight. I know its a neuro toxin but its the only product I know of that has been proven effective.
    I also ordered some veterinary grade disinfectant. This will be easier to work with then bleach, so I can keep disinfecting tubs as neccicary without taking an insane amount of time.
    All snakes will be soaked daily regardless if I identify mites or not. Any tubs with mites in the paper towels will be disinfected as well during soak time.
    The reptile room will be thoroughly treated with Provent-a-mite as often as I feel neccicary, as well as vacuumed daily. Aside from Otis this room will be out of commission for at least 30 days. If I can keep Otis clean this should be plenty of time to break the hatch/ find host/ feed/ lay eggs cycle in that room. Getting this room decontam'd will be the most challenging part I think.
    All animal husbandry will be done using clean to dirty work flow to prevent cross contamination.
    Snakes will not be fed for at least a week or two, I dont want to worry about regurgitation from handling stress on top of all this. The Lesser came THIS close to regurging last night during her bath but kept it down.

I was also thinking about laying down some diameticious earth in the carpets, does anyone know if this is an effective product on mites?
    Is there anything else I need to do? Please send me good vibes guys, im already at my wits end and this whole process is kust getting started. Its going to be a long month or so.....

2. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Thats horrid. Sending good vibes. Not sure about the carpet stuff but will be following the thread to find out.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

See if you can find a product by Natural Chemistry called either Reptile Relief, or Reptile Spray(same product but they changed the name). Its effective and safe enough to use on both the animals and the enclosure.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

I've used that Natural Chemistry stuff. Recently even when someone gave me a snake that had mites so bad. (Still can't say no to the ones that need help). It is safe, and effective just don't spray it on the faces. I found mine at the petstore. I also use the Cvs brand bed bug bedding spray for the enclosures. It has the permethrin stuff in it. It's in the medicine section at cvs.

5. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Here is what it looks like. I always have some on hand. I realize it's too late since you ordered some overnight but just in case you run out halfway through it, or when you re treat the cages.

Attached Files:

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Ok, this is coming from someone who's been through this. You may as well put everyone back in the room, it will be easier on you in the long run. And you are just contaminating everywhere else you put them, requiring that area to be treated as well. For me, the PAM alone wasn't enough. It did cut down/ prevent them moving from rack to rack, but despite my best efforts, they would show up again in a few weeks. I actually ended up using the nix treatment in combination with the PAM, with weekly treatments and cleaning, and finally got rid of the pests. Btw, everything I've read and my own experience says regular bleach solution for disinfecting won't kill the eggs anyway. Just keep the enclosures/racks/whatever clean, keep up the weekly treatments for at least a month, and then if you haven't seen any for a while, go to every 2 weeks, then monthly. And don't rexlax until you haven't seen any for a couple months. One last thing, I plan on trying the reptile relief or whatever they call it now, the next time I need something, but haven't used it yet. Never heard anything bad about it either.

7. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

How exactly did you apply the PAM? Im a fairly concerned about the potential toxicity.

I spoke to a gentleman at reptile basics this morning. They have an additional product that is safe to treat the animals themselves, as well as the tubs and enclosures unlike the PAM. So I went ahead and ordered that aswell.

I see what your saying about just spreading them around. Ill put everyone that is still infected back in the room. If I am confidant that anybody anybody is clear though I will probably leave them separated.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I apply it to the inside of the tubs, spray the rack interiors, any shelves they set on, I even do the floor out of paranoia. Make sure your getting it into any cracks and crevices. It's safe for contact once it's dry, but make sure it's completely dry before putting the snake back. Also remove any water dishes for 24 hrs, clean and replace them after. Maybe even put them through a dishwasher on high heat if possible. Treat the snake with whatever else you plan to use, then place it back in the treated cage/tub. I also treat their heads when using the direct application safe stuff, as the mites will hide in their heat pits too. Your already doing it right by getting rid or the normal substrate and going with paper, also get rid of any bags of extra material you have on hand. And watch your humidity, that's the major downside to paper. Can't think of anything else right now but if I do I'll post it.

9. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

My Kahl had mites when I first got him and luckily I caught them quick and he was quarantined so there was no spread. I took the snake out of his cage, sprayed the entire cage down with diluted NIX and then let it air dry and put him back. After that I sprayed the couches, carpets and practically everything else with full strength NIX and then did the same thing a month after to make sure it was gone.

That was last year somewhere around October so I plan on using that solution for now on. Worked well for me.

10. ExoJoe

ExoJoe Established Member

When my Burm had mites I found it useful to follow all of the general tips like the soaks and mineral oil over the eyes o suffocate them. I also seemed to have a lot of success with baking the décor items to destroy the eggs. A hand steamer I think was the kicker to destroying eggs in he corners of the cage.

11. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry to hear man. How's it going with the mites?