This Disappears When Logged In

Mites?? please help asap!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Disturbedcries87, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disturbedcries87

Disturbedcries87 Elite Member

Hey i was holding pandora a lil bit ago and noticed under her jaw there was little black blotches almost in her skin and she had little black bugs on her body which i think are mites. Im very worried never had this happen before and i need help Please..:confused:

2. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

take every thing out of the cage. whipe it dwn with bleach solution and put paer towns as substrate soak your pet what is she? in a luke warm bath and get repti relif from the pet shop and put this over her clean cage and her daily twice if need be till you see no more sign of them

3. Disturbedcries87

shes a rainbow boa, and thanks ill do this right away thanks

4. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Waitt!! mites are red not black...

5. Disturbedcries87

what kind of red these look like they are black are mites bright red or really dark red that looks like black?

6. aiden_punx

aiden_punx Elite Member

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Simplest way to tell is get you a magnifying glass. Mites are arachnids, not insects. They have eight legs instead of six

8. Disturbedcries87

Ok i have clean her cage and everything and have her in a plastic bin container with a water dish hide rock and paper towels for substract and a heating pad. And following Andrea's thread im going to clean the bin daily and use repti relief on her every 3 days. Anyone have any other advice??

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I've done a lot of homework on mites... Here's my HC Article:http://www.herpcenter.com/showthread.php?t=7200
    Savannah: at certain stages of development they are more reddish. Adult males are usually smaller and tan while female adults are bigger and black. Also I read somewhere that one of the developing stages only has 6 legs before they morph into the 8 legged adult.

BE CAREFUL with products like Reptile Relief: it says on the bottle "use as often as necessary, but not more than at 3 day intervals" ?!?! I'm so afraid that people just read "As often as necessary" and spray their animal all the time with the stuff.
    ONCE ... wait 3 days.... ONCE... wait 3 days. (The easiest is to put on some thin rubber gloves and spray it onto the gloves, then let the snake crawl through your hands and you slowly work it all over its body.)
    It's very drying to the snake's skin and tends to give it a dull grey look. (I'm not a big fan of putting insecticides on my animals.)

Good luck. Mites are a pain, but you CAN get rid of them. The hardest thing about getting rid of them is that they spend A LOT of their time NOT feeding on the snake; either mating, laying eggs, molting or looking for more snakes. Your treatment should focus mainly on killing all the mites and eggs in and around your terrarium and snake room. Check the corners carefully and even around the light fixtures... any moist dark crevice. Bleach won't kill mite eggs: you have to scrape them off with a knife and use an insecticide. Just make sure you do not put Pandora back until all the insecticide is rinsed off and the terrarium COMPLETELY aired out.
    A few baths and daily box changes will quickly get rid of the ones on Pandora.
    But watch your other herps' enclosures carefully. Once Pandora is in quarantine, they'll start looking for your other snakes.

10. Disturbedcries87

Hey Andrea, thanks for the help yes i too noticed that about the repti relief stuff. so far ive seen dead mits on the paper towels since yesterday im going to change boxes and a bath today after work. And start checking my other snake and around my room. by the way Andrea did you see the pictures of pandora

11. BlackJack

Somehow I missed that thread with the pics of Pandora before. I just looked for it now.
    Wow!! She's really grown a lot and looks great. She has very nice patterns!

You're obviously doing a fantastic job with her. Keep the pics coming.
    And good luck with the mite problem. It's a hassle, but hopefully they haven't spread to your other snake's enclosure yet. (Stay vigilant, though, it only takes one pregnant female mite hitch-hiking on your sleeve to start an infestation in another tank.) GGggggrrrr.

12. Disturbedcries87

Thanks Andrea im fixing to get off work in a little bit and going to go change the bin out and give her a bath and im taking more pictures today. show you what i was talking about under her jaw. Im so glad for all your help and i love rainbow boa's. Pandora is the cutiest she will go in her water bowl and blow bubbles every where and then pop up and go on her branch and sit and watch me.

13. Disturbedcries87

new pictures

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Disturbedcries87

somethin went wrong posting the last picture just click on the red X and it will show it inlarge thats what i was talking about earlier in the thread the blotches

15. BlackJack

It's really not easy to say what's going on with those blotches:

Are they just on her neck and chin or do they go down her whole body? Are the blotches swollen? Or does it look like the skin is damaged there?

Rainbow boas are usually quite resistant to blister disease, but if she's been soaking a lot for long periods or lying in very wet substrate, she could get it.

Do you use an under-tank heater? Could she have burned herself?

Is she due to shed in the next few weeks? Sometimes Talyn gets dark pink markings on her ventral scales before she goes into her blue phase.

It's difficult to say from the picture. I would keep an eye on it. See if it goes away after her next shed. It could be just that she just has more pigment developing on her ventral scales.

However, if it looks like there's something wrong/abnormal with the dark scales, have it checked out by a vet. Mites can pass bacteria and virus to the snake hosts, so don't rule anything out.

Sorry if that's a lot of words with not much help!

16. Disturbedcries87

nope they just around her neck and no not swollen at all. and no not any type of damage as in burn or anything i have a CHB the bulb that emitts heat not light. She does how ever soak for long periods of time latly she should be do for a shed in a few weeks from now. and thanks helps me out more than you knowing more about her thanks and ill keep you posted.

17. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Great pics!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.