This Disappears When Logged In

Mite Scare!!

Discussion in 'Emerald Tree Boa/Arboreal Boas' started by MoskiWoski, Aug 13, 2013.

1. MoskiWoski

MoskiWoski Elite Member

Alright, so, I left for two weeks preparing a new house that's a state away. My family was taking care of my snakes, which only consisted of one feed, spot cleaning, and changing water. No problem. Well, when I came home, my ATB was peppered in black specs. AHHHHH!!! NOOOOOO!!!!! She has always had a few, and by a few, I mean A FEW. She had just shed about a week or two before I left, and nothing had changed. Still 99.9 percent yellow. Well, here she is now.

image.jpg

See the black dots? I freaked out. There was nowhere for mites to come from. Neither of my snakes had them, and I've had them both for months. Anyway, I got her out, inspected with a magnifying glass and was satisfied. Then I got skeptical again. So I pulled her out and soaked her (she HATED it, I thought she was from the Amazon??) for about 20 minutes and nothing moved, nothing changed. Nothing. Still exactly the same. What a relief.

Why would she start changing color/pattern 2-3 weeks post shed?? I thought they only changed from shed to shed?? I'm obviously wrong about this, right??!!

On the bright side, along with the black specs, she's starting to get a RED pattern, coming through the yellow! Awesome!!

Could someone please clear this up? As far as the post shed speckling. She's about 10 months old, or so I was told. I thought I read that the coloring and pattern was developed and done by around 8 months on an ATB.