This Disappears When Logged In

Misting Systems?

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Yurusumaji, May 30, 2011.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Where did you hear this? Chameleons have a lifespan of only around 5 years.

2. Frank1932

Frank1932 Member

They do not have a lifespan of just 5 years if they are captive bred That comment im talking about is for the veiled or panther chameleons. The 5 year one is the Pygmy check out life span on the left hand side it says over 10 years in a zoo in the site im providing. So I guess it varies n conditions and just care and type of chameleon.

San Diego Zoo's Animal Bytes: Chameleon

3. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

We will probably get a Veiled. I do love the Panthers though, so nothing is for sure yet.

ETA: Most of the sources I have read say they live 2-3 years or up to 5 years. That's a very short life. :(

4. Merlin

Just because it says that in one public relations blurb from a Zoo does not make it fact.
    What you linked to makes no distinction among any of the different chameleon speces or between males and females but is just talking about chameleons with a "one size fits all" mindset. There is quite a disparity there. For one thing, males generally live longer than females.
    Just type in panther chameleon lifespan or the same thing with veiled chameleons in your search engine and you will get a very different story.

5. Frank1932

Frank1932 Member

Well obviously its like saying I can die before my mom because of lighting or a drunk driver but your also classafying it to just a short duration. Ive talked to breeders and hobbiests that have owned chams that have had them for 7 years +. I'm not trying to argue here but this is what I know if you want to say something else thats fine I dont want to hijck this thing if I were to not indulge in vices and eat healthy and have no physical problems I would or can live for a long time like I said emphasis on " cared for correclty" but we all know things stuff can go wrong thats just common sence.

So I assumed he would know that without me being so perfectly literal or percise I just told him how long they can reach I was assuming he would understand that they cn die any time before that by any reason I'm sorry if that was my mistake I'm just trying to help.

6. Merlin

Ok now you are just being silly!
    No what I am sayng is what I have learned from the studying I have done prior to my venturing into the world of chameleons. The lifespan on both Veileds and Panthers, males, is listed as 5-7 years. With females living roughly half that.
    Yet you are saying that they live twice that long!
    But it's not "what you know" its what you have read on a web page.
    And even that does not back up your claim of chams living for 15 years.

7. willyboy123

willyboy123 Member

I'd recommend a mist king misting system. I use that for my two panther chams.