This Disappears When Logged In

Misting Systems?

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Yurusumaji, May 30, 2011.

1. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Do you use a misting system for your chameleon and if so, what do you use? If not, how do you keep the humidity up in their cage?

I read that a misting system is recommended since chameleons have to be kept in a screen enclosure but need high humidity. Unfortunately everything I'm finding has gotten horrible reviews.

I'm putting together a shopping list that I prefer to be as accurate as possible so I know precisely what I'm looking for if/when I decide to get a chameleon, so the more specific the better. Links are loved. Reviews are super-loved.

ETA: Google-fu pointed to just using a regular room humidifier, so I've added that to the list. :">

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

That's the tricky part. Good ventilation yet good hydration. I had a pair of veileds in the past that I bred, but I won't go there again. My climate is too dry to fight with keeping the humidity up.

3. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

After reading that most people just use room humidifiers I am thinking it might be wise to put them in a small room or even a large closet where the humidifier can really keep the area, well, humidified. Or maybe cover the terrarium with a clear plastic cover so it will hold in the humidity better but won't stress out the chameleon.

Hm. I'd be interested to know what others do more specifically. I'll be brainstorming on this all day now. LOL.

I love a good challenge. Where's my notepad?

4. kriminaal

I don't believe there are too many Chameleon owners here. Waterproofing a closet with FRP would work nicely but still the issue of ventilation. You can't seal up a habitat.

5. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

You could take off the door and hang some plastic in the doorway with about a foot open at ground level. It would allow easy access into the area while still holding in the humidity and allowing for airflow.

*busts out notebook*

We're going to figure this out! I'm in planning mode now!

6. kriminaal

That sounds like a good idea. The warm moist air will be closer to the top.

7. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

You are the best person to bounce ideas off of. I was thinking you could even build a big wooden box to put the terrarium in and cut a doorway into it and hang the plastic.

It would save you from having to mod the closet, but would inevitably take up more floor space. It is an option, though.

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can just use a screen cage with part of it plastic wrapped. I use a home made drip system along with live plants.

9. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

:)

Merlin - I've seen your setup if I recall correctly. You have the juvenile, right? You just have the drip system, no humidifier or misting system? Do you ever spritz your chameleon or anything like that?

10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mine is right at a year old. And he positively hates being misted. He will climb all over the cage trying to get away from it.
    I recall an article talking about it starting to rain in Hawaii and the chams were so startled they were falling out of the trees!
    So I just use the drip system.

11. nateee04

nateee04 Well-Known Member

I spray the cage down a couple times a day away from the chameleon. Also, I have a waterfall in my male's cage. Also, I use a drip system.

12. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Which waterfall and drip system do you use?

I used a waterfall when I had hermit crabs, but no one told me I had to use distilled water and before long the pump crashed. I believe it was the large Exo Terra waterfall that I used.

Do you have a plastic cover over your cage as well or do you use some other method in which to hold the humidity?

13. nateee04

nateee04 Well-Known Member

I have an Exo Terra waterfall. I have nothing over my cage...it's just really humid by their cages. I just made my own drip system. Jabbed a neddle in a bottom on a little bowl and fill it up with water hah.

14. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Thank you so much for this information.

I think it's safe to say it just depends on what it's like inside someone's home. I'll probably get the cage all set up and fiddle with it until it holds the humidity properly and then get a chameleon to put in it.

You guys are like Herp Heroes. :D

15. Frank1932

Frank1932 Member

Hello im new here but I have some knowlede and little wisdom on chams chams can last for 15 years if cared for correctly, so if your in for a long term relationship here in the states we got Mist king its a automated misting system which can be set on certain times. You also may just hook up a nozzle and tube to go off with a timer if you want which sprays from a bucket. These can be very expensive but yet again what about chameleons isnt. goodluck any more questions just ask im not a expert but like I said ive had help and done my research.

_EDIT_
    Also plants, plants, plants real plants make great mostiure retainers also you can use coca dirt as a substrate which retians moisture well as well, the only problem with that is some people claim it may cause impaction wich means his tubing where he eats or breathing tube gets plugged up. So he may tarve or sufferciate if that claim is true I dont know but you have to decide to take the risk goodluck.

16. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I've also heard good things about Mist King!

17. DimitrisDaisy

DimitrisDaisy Elite Member

While they can choke, impaction is when they become constipated and can't make a bowel movement.

18. Frank1932

Frank1932 Member

hmm ok thanks for the correction :)

19. Yurusumaji

Yurusumaji Elite Member

Thank you for the information, Frank.

I don't really know how I could use the cocoa husk since it would be a screen cage. I could build a bottom, but I'll probably go with reptile turf for safety reasons and find other ways to hold in the humidity.

We definitely plan to have a long-term relationship with the chameleon we get and set-up cost is not an issue. We'll have it all set up and ready to go before we even look for a chameleon, so we'll have some time to collect all the stuff we need and get prepared. :)

20. Frank1932

Frank1932 Member

No problem yea chameleons are tough to take care of I love them but cant support them heh, umm yea the cocoa husk you can kinda make a small pile under a plant pot with a tarp laying on the cage floor but thts if you even want it some dont like it. Also what type is it is it veiled or panther or the little ones?