This Disappears When Logged In

Missing

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Mledwards123, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Mledwards123

Mledwards123 Elite Member

Some times when I feed my snake he will strike at the food but he misses. Is this bad or can someone explain please

2. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

first how old is your BP? second look at his eyes. are they dented retained eye caps? third how often do you feed it?

3. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

They miss it happens, unless you see some health issue of some sort I wouldn't worry too much about it. many snakes actually don't have good eye sight. What are you feeding live, frozen or what?

4. Mledwards123

Mledwards123 Elite Member

I feed him about once every 9 days and I'm not quite sure of the age. And no the first thing in looked at was his eyes. They look fine. And I feed him frozen

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Their heat pits pick up the signature of the animal when they're moving. they focus on motion and that's why you'll often see some awesome strikes on live prey. frozen or fresh kill have lost a lot of the heat signature and as best as we try we don't mimic the actuall movements of rodents at times. I seen mine miss right infront of them, they miss the timing on the swinging rodent I think. Now this is purely based on what my belief or understanding of them is and what I've seen them do under my care. As always make sure the animal has no health issues that may be the cause but they do miss even when healthy. there's my 2 cents :)

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

dehydration is common cause. make sure the snake has plenty of fresh water available.

7. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Mine used to miss allot till I took him to the vet and found out it was because he had an RI

8. SaMiAm

SaMiAm Member

Oh wow... did he have any other symptoms?

9. Renouji

Renouji Elite Member

Not that I noticed other than a light wheezing.

10. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

I've noticed that my BP(which is wild caught) misses a lot when he doesnt want to eat.
    I've had him for about 13 years and he was probably a few years old when I got him.
    In the winter he usually fasts for a few months and when I try to feed him during this time, he'll usually strike at the rat a few times and completely miss a few times. This is when I know he's still on his food strike.

Once spring comes he usually doesnt miss anymore;)

Also: I feed him live rats.....knowing that he's wild caught I could never bring myself to feed him F/T because he knows what its like in the wild.

11. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

I'm sure a snake isn't going to mind of it has proper husbandry and has food-alive or dead to shove down its throat. It's VERY dangerous to feed live anything. Have you seen the nails and teeth on rats?? They can and have killed countless snakes. Not to mention its unnecessarily cruel for the rat to be squeezed to death. Yes it happens in the wild but it's not neccesary. Live Rat Kills Ball Python

Also I find it odd you cant bring yourself to feet it pre killed humanly euthanized food. But can let live rats suffer.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  12. mikeyp03

mikeyp03 Elite Member

WOW, if this was to me thats all I can say.....
    I've been feeding this snake live for 13 years. This is not my first or only snake either.....so yes I've seen the teeth and claws on rats. The fact that you said "it happens in the wild but its not necessary" is mind blowing to me......
    A snake is a carnivore however you look at it. How I choose to feed my carnivorous animal is up to me, and however you'd like to feed yours is up to you. I would never condescend anyone because they feed their snake a different way from me.

I guess because you don't do it, it is wrong. Good luck with that mentality.

13. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

It's not neccesary because you can feed them frozen thawed or pre killed. Not sure what's so mind blowing about that~. I brought up that point not to attack you-just to tell you that it's dangerous for the animal. Also rats are very intelligent animals I don't see the point of making 13 years worth of small intelegent rodents suffer and get the life squeezed out of them when they can be humanly euthanized.

14. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

I will say, that most, but not all snakes can be converted to fresh killed or frozen thawed. For my ball python, most of the year he is on frozen thawed feeders, but this is the second year in a row that I've had to offer a live mouse to break a winter fast. After that he takes frozen thawed no problem.
    There is no doubting that dead prey has no chance of injuring your snake, and it is untrue that frozen food isn't as nutritious as live food. Unless of course it is frozen for a ridiculously long time. It is also much cheaper and more convenient to purchase and store frozen feeders. So unless you absolutely are unable to convert an animal to frozen thawed, I can find no logical reason to feed live prey on a regular basis.