This Disappears When Logged In

Missing Dart Frog!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Poison Dart Frogs' started by cwbfrogs, Oct 29, 2014.

1. cwbfrogs

cwbfrogs Member

I had three Dendrobates ventrimaculatus for about two months and then one day they were all gone and I have looked all through my viv. I didn't know if they could some how "burrow" in the coco husk "dirt", I feel like they may have died and if so I really want to get some news one maybe something a little bigger I would like to try and breed them. I also forgot I had them in a 12x12x18 setup there's also now way they could get out.

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like it's time to tear the enclosure apart, especially the substrate.

3. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have lost your frogs and believe they have died, you aren't ready to breed. How can you consider breeding when you don't even know where your current frogs are, or if they are even alive.

The first thing you need to do is take apart the enclosure as suggested. You need to locate where the frogs are. If they have died, you need to figure out why they died. What makes you think they have died? As far as you know, they could be buried in the substrate and could be alive. Could you share with us a picture of their enclosure?

If they did die you need to figure out why before you consider buying any more. Breeding should only be done after you have experience with keeping the species. Dead frogs is not the type of experience we are talking about here. You need to keep and understand the species before you try breeding them. You need to have preparations in place for any offspring they may produce and be capable of caring for the offspring. Right now, simply based on what you have written, even you find the frogs alive, you aren't at a point to consider breeding as you aren't even certain where your current frogs are.

4. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Ranitomeya Ventrimaculatus are quite small. They can easily fit through the vents at the top of the tank that allow you to put wires in. This is the most common way that frogs of the Ranitomeya genus are lost. Furthermore, it is completly normal for you to not see frogs for days. Keep in mind that the thimbnail darts also tend to be door lurkers and sometimes escape even expert breeders

5. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I agreed ^^ Thumbnails are very fast. And there is always the chance that you didn't see them get out. What makes you think they're dead? Is your husbandry off?

6. Poison

Poison Elite Member

I'd also like to mention that when it comes to darts they will breed without any alterations to their environment. If the OP keeps his frogs correctly, the frogs will reproduce.

7. cwbfrogs

cwbfrogs Member

the reason I think they are dead is because I haven't seen them for about 2 almost 3 weeks

8. Frogsrule

Frogsrule Active Member

Have you closed off all vents? You're unfotunatley gling to have to tear the tank apart but i think you should wait and try to see if they show up again

9. Yellowfang15

Yellowfang15 Well-Known Member

Yeah I wouldn't breed if I were you.