This Disappears When Logged In

Milk Snake Bite?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by aromatherapykim, Mar 7, 2014.

1. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

So im still new to snakes. I have a albino hondurian milk snake. Hes beautiful and I love him very much. Hes about 3 1/2 feet long. I have never been bitten by a snake and am curious about how it would go if/when it happens. Do they usually bite and let go or hold on?

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most snakes bite simply to warn you - a quick nip and done. Relatively painless, but fast enough to be startling.

Though they will occasionally bite and latch, that usually is in indicator of other problems - inadequate diet, etc. The best way i have found to remove them is to use rubbing alcohol (they let go right away) or if there is none convenient, fill a sink or bowl up with water, and get the snakes head underwater - they will come up to breathe, and let go of you.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Any snake will bite eventually, the smaller ones like kings and milks (and the like) are more startling due to the speed of strike. Their teeth are very small and rarely leave more than a few shallow puncture wounds. Yanking your hand away causes more damage to you and the snake than just letting it happen by staying still, the yank will cause the teeth to slice/rip through the skin, pulling out teeth as you go.

Just wash the bite and put on what ever dressing your used to and move on, a bite will happen sooner or later it just goes with the territory.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Yes. The bite itself is relatively painless. The shock of it happening is often worse than the bite itself.
    The type of bite will vary. To warn you off, it will be a bite and release. If the snake is in feeding mode or you smell like food, it will bite, hold on and coil on you.
    As Jen stated, the best way to get them off of you is to hold a cloth, cotton ball, etc. with alcohol on it over their nose. It can be either rubbing alcohol or the kind that you drink.
    I never had much luck with the holding them under water technique.

5. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Well you must have some pretty feisty snakes, if they'd rather drown than quit biting! Lol;)

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not really. If you consider a snake that has hit prey in the water, they won't turn loose just because they are wet.
    And they can hold their breath for quite a while.

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

My kings have been notorious for chewing on me for quite a while. The corns and rats, well - the very few that have ever bitten - were quick strikes and that was that.

Not bad at all. As others have said, the IDEA of the bite is far worse than the bite itself.

8. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

I promise it's not half as bad as you expect it to be. A milk snake will cause no harm to you other than drawing a little blood. :)

9. aromatherapykim

aromatherapykim Elite Member

Haha thanks guys! I love my waldo but sometimes he gets snappy when im trying to get him out of the tank. Seems fine once he's out though. I figured I'd like to hear some first hand experience so I know what to expect when I don't get my hand outta there fast enough.
    I've only had waldo a few months and im already itching for a new snake. Can't decide what kind though :)

10. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

It often happens that snakes get very cage-aggressive but they calm down instantly once in your hands. If you're really sure you want to keep another snake (a commitment of 20+ years!) and it's not just a passing fancy, then go for it! Get whatever species you like and are capable of handling and enjoy your reptiles:)