This Disappears When Logged In

Mice About to Pop.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by jdandlucy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

my first litter of mice is due any time now. i need to know if i should give each female their container to birth in, to prevent any loss of pups from the other females/male mice. if so what is a good choice?

2. AdamL8

AdamL8 Elite Member

Can't hurt.

3. DeadlyDesires

DeadlyDesires Banned User

I usually just leave mine in they have a pretty big tank and they usually isolate themselves and mine like to attack anyone who comes near so it all just depends on what you prefer to do..

4. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I keep mine together, everyone will help raise the pups. The only down side is the female will get pregnant within 24 hours after giving birth so you'll have another litter in 3 weeks. Some times I will pull the male out or a group of females who are preggy to give them a break. Never introduce the male or any mouse when there are babies in the tank. That is asking for a blood bath. They can be very protective of their babies.

5. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

1 female start having babies, but another female is eating them. I remove the 1 that was having babies because she still quite large. I just hope she keeps giving birth and not eat them from moving her.

6. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

10 live baby's from mom 1. The female who ate mom 1's baby's went in to labor last night as well. I found the remains of 7 baby's. None Alive.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Congrats on the 10 pups! I would give Mom #2 a second try sometimes they will kill/eat their first litters and be wonderful Mom's to the next litters. If she eats her second litter, don't waste your time with her and feed her off. If #2 is still in with the buck she should be pregnant again, mice are fertile within 24 hours of giving birth. Also increse her protien, a bit cat or dog food or even puppy milkbones.
    Now with the doe you moved out you can't introduce her back to the male until her pups are weaned. If doe #2 has a litter you can't put #1 in with her(they are very protective of their young). It might be easier to keep a buck from doe #1's litter to breed back to her.

8. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

To prevent this from happening again, I am giving each doe her own box.
    The Buck will rotate to each doe every 3 days when she is with out pups.
    When all 3 does are pregnant he gets his own box.

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Your better off keeping them in a male and female pairs. Pulling the male in and out can cause some fights. Mice are territorial and they won't remeber him every 3 days. If you do want to keep them seperate you could put the does in his cage and then back into theirs after a few days. There is always a chance that they will fight.

10. jdandlucy

jdandlucy Elite Member

I will likely hold back 2 males from doe1 to breed with the other 2 does. I don't need pinky right now
    But I will need a few more fuzzy and a lot of hoppers for T.U.K. Then a lot of large.
    We are planning on getting at least 1 snake at repticon in March, but we could end up with 3.
    A male jungle, jaguar, or IJ carpet is for sure. The wife wants a female morph BP. We are also thinking
    of getting a nice female corn snake.