This Disappears When Logged In

Mercury Vapor Bulb Exploded

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Shintarou, Sep 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shintarou

Shintarou Member

Our Zoomed mercury vapor bulb suddenly exploded on us right before bed tonight, I'd like to ask why that could have happened and what I should replace it with... We've moved our baby ig's to a new tank for the night and we'll be cleaning out everything in their home tomorrow...

We no longer have the packaging for either the bulb or the fixture, but we know they were the correct wattage/size/voltage for each other because we carefully checked all that out when we bought them. It was positioned over a 55 gallon tank, with the humidity around 55%. The bulb was only six months old. Maybe it was just a cheap quality brand? It was the best looking option at PetCo at the time. What else could have caused it to explode and how can we prevent it next time?

We have fluorescent uvb bulb and another small heat lamp to use as a back up until I know what to replace it with.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Is there any chance any liquid got splashed on it? Never had this happen so I'm just guessing here, but I've never even heard of one of these doing this before. But a little cool water from a splashing iguana would do the trick.

3. Gaaaaaaaaaard

Gaaaaaaaaaard Elite Member

I don't have any experience but I do know that zoomed has always had a reputation for very poor quality control. Especially with their MVB's. I'm honestly not really a fan of zoomed anything. Water splashing on it does sound likely however.

4. Shintarou

Shintarou Member

No water could have been splashed on it, but we do use a fog machine for humidity.

5. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

A lot of brands have a auto shutoff feature to avoid overheating. Maybe this one malfunctioned.
    Is it hooked up to a dimmer? Cause it shouldn't be.

6. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Just a theory, but what kind of socket was the bulb placed in? Was it a ceramic socket or a plastic, maybe if it was a plastic one and it malfunctioned because of the heat, it caused it to explode.... If not then as stated before, maybe the water.......

7. RexAurilia

RexAurilia Member

Proper lighting and UVB for an iguana is imperative to their well being. I have a 10 year old male red iguana and have done a lot of research on good lighting. Considering the cost of the ZooMed / Exo Terra lights, and that you need to replace them every 3-6 months, I would strongly recommend ReptileUV, Products
    If you look into them I sure you will find their lighting is Far superior to any of the others. Plus, their bulbs come with really long warranties, much better than a 30 day return policy from Amazon. Their UVB lighting also does not degrade at the same rate as these Zoo Med/ Exo Terra lights, and lasts significantly longer. Check them out, I'm sure your iguana will thank you for it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.