This Disappears When Logged In

Melinus Vs Indicus

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Alexjackson617, Jan 27, 2018.

1. I'm hoping to get some info from people who have experience with v. melinus or v. indicus monitors.

I had my heart set on a melinus when I began building my cage. However, is there much of a difference in behavior between the two once they are no longer juveniles? Specifically in their confidence and being able to build some trust? Is one more outgoing?

New England Reptile Distributors is (semi) local to me and I fully trust them especially when it comes to monitors. They have small indicus available. I'd have to order melinus online and go thru the stress of shipping etc. Just hoping to get some insight. Thanks!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I haven`t kept either, but I can tell you that most Varanid species will behave in a similar way; that is very defensive and wary as hatchlings/juveniles, especially the wild caught specimens which you`re most likely to acquire. As they reach adult size they may calm down (no guarantees) but it`s also about the time and effort the keeper puts in (if you don`t try you`ll always fail)!
    There was someone on one of the Faceboook monitor groups that kept a V. melinus, it seemed quite calm around the keeper, I`ll try and find the thread and put a link up shortly.

3. That would be great. Just from general research I've found a good amount of melinus being calm and manageable around their keeper. I haven't found as many with indicus. It would be a huge plus to buy from NERD as they are a local and trusted breeder.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Email or call NERD, they might be able to get some v. melinus in if they know your looking for it. That said, it's kind of the wrong time of year for wild caught import monitors. So if you can wait a couple months or so they should start showing up. I'm planning on buying a group of these when they come available again.

6. I will contact NERD and hopefully they can get some in. The last time I visited they didn't seem very optimistic though.

I'm gonna stick with the melinus. I really like their build and colorations. Plus the girlfriend thinks their cute which will make my life easier haha.

7. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

If they can't get you one, they may be able to help you track down someone reputable who can.