This Disappears When Logged In

Meet Ryuu...

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by gapeachkatie, Mar 27, 2011.

1. gapeachkatie

gapeachkatie Elite Member

He/She is roughly 5 inches long and is so far doing great. He is jumping around the tank and actively feeding when he is not jumping between basking spots. He has had 8 small crickets since he got here and is still looking for food (little piggy. :D)

My main concern is that the pet store does not feed their dragons any greens, and I don't know what I should do to encourage him to eat them. I plan on getting him some mustard greens, collard greens, couple types of squash, and see if I can find some cactus pads for him at the store tonight.

Also, I think it is the cutest thing I have seen in a while, but he keeps running through his water dish and then looks around like "What was that?"

Attached Files:

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

*waves at Ryuu*

3. Geo7809

Geo7809 Elite Member

Congrats! Very cute! :)

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Congratulations! He is just gorgeous!
    I a good sign if he is a little piggy, let him eat as much as he wants! Remember his feeders should be no larger than the space between the eyes.
    You can finely chop up your greens and grate your squash, and spray with water and let him pick at it through the day.
    I usually fed my little one 3-4 times a day as many crickets as he would eat in a setting, if he finished them all and was looking for more after 10 minutes I would just drop one cricket at a time until he was not longer interested.
    He will do his most growing in the first few months!
    Mine drinks from her water dish, some don't so when in a bath you can dribble some water over his nose and he may lick, but they will get a lot of there water from what they eat.
    Good Luck, have fun and keep those pictures coming of your little Ryuu!;)

5. gapeachkatie

Thanks ya'll. I will hopefully have better pics of him in a couple days once he settles in. He should also start shedding in the few weeks, so hopefully he will seem comfortable enough for me to start trying to gain his trust to let him soak.

6. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

YAY!!!!!!!! (Whistles and Trumpets blowing):)

Like Michele said, give him as much as he likes. Don't worry about the veggies too much, he'll go for them when ready. You can even try feeding him a piece by hand, just waggle a piece of leaf about the size of a cricket in front of his nose.
    Put the veg in the tank first thing after you turn the lights on, that way when he warms up, he might have a nibble, then feed the crickets a bit later. You can also dump the crickets on top of the veg, that way he may snatch a piece by accident. If you keep doing that, he should start selecting pieces on his own in between crickets.

How long is he?

7. gapeachkatie

He is roughly 5 inches. May be a little bit longer or shorter. I will do an official measurement in a couple of days and start keeping records of his feeding and size.

8. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

So cute!

9. Dragonflies

Dragonflies Banned User

He's a real baby then, get with that feeding, three times a day.

10. gapeachkatie

As a test, I put some crushed mango, finely shredded mustard greens, and grated squash in with him to see if he would eat it. He devoured the mango and squash then spit out the mustard greens...

Here are some pics I could not resist taking... :)

Attached Files:

11. Vitina

Vitina Elite Member

he is so cute! When I get my leopard gecko i better have my camera ready so i don't miss the cute moments

12. mld

He looks great, nice and alert!:x
    One thing I did notice is that you probe isn't touching the basking spot! Where it is, is going to give you air temp/glass temp!

13. gapeachkatie

Actually, I have three probes in the tank. That one I had to pull up a little bit b/c he was trying to chew it while on his rock. I have since placed it back on his rock. The highest basking spot at the top of his ramp is 103 degrees, the lower basking spot on the slate chunks is 96 degrees, and the other end of the tank is at 81 degrees right now. I am really surprised to have this kind of heat variant in this tank.

14. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Very cute little guy..thanks for sharing the pictures:)

15. mld

Excellent! I was thinking that, but just making sure;)

16. gapeachkatie

No problem Connie. I am going to go picture crazy with him since he is my first personal dragon.

Michelle, if no one here asked me about it, I would be concerned! lol Just dropped 5 more crickets in the tank and he actively started chasing the crickets into the water dish, then plopped down to munch on them while sitting in his water. What a goof ball!!

17. mld

Great way to get his water! Sound like my gal when I first got her!

18. gapeachkatie

I just have to ask about something... I have heard of them laying vertically against an object or glass on rare occasion, but is is normal for them to sleep like that constantly? Lights went out at 9, and he went straight to sleep standing against the glass.
    It is just so odd seeing him sleep like that, especially since I have only witnessed them sleeping flat on the floor or wedged against a rock.

19. teach920

teach920 Subscribed User Premium Member

Yep,.... welcome to the world of "acrobatic/contortionists" Beardies:D...they do indeed sleep in some VERY unusual positions...(and horizontally, with belly against the glass is certainly not uncommon;))

20. kdalecubano

kdalecubano Active Member

my little guy does that sometimes, so i think it could be a normal behavior...i wouldnt worry about it. im glad to hear you and your little guy are doing good!