This Disappears When Logged In

Meet Luscious Aka Lou

Discussion in 'Hog Island Boas' started by snakemomGLHS, Sep 8, 2018.

1. snakemomGLHS

snakemomGLHS Active Member

New member here. This is my prescious baby Luscious. We rescued him in February from a couple who had gotten him and he got "big and mean." They also said he was a retic. He was severely emaciated, had scale rot from many bad sheds, showed signs of abuse, and had a very bad respiratory infection that almost took his life. After lots of love, vet bills, and tasty rats he got better. It took a while to build trust, but he has grown to love getting out of his tank and playing with us all. He is an eater though, and eats at least 1-2 rats biweekly (I know some consider this over feeding). Lately though he hasn't been wanting to eat at all. He's been very active and grumpy. I've seen on another forum that he could be looking for a mate. How long is their mating season and when should I become worried that he isn't eating? Coming up on week 6 of no eating. I included a few pix of him. One outside climbing and the other playing with sister. He's really usually a sweet boy.

Attached Files:

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Hello, and welcome to the forum. Looks like youve done a great job getting Lou back to good health. I've never owned any hog island boas, so I can't really say if this is mating related behavior or not. Some other causes could be a change in the cage, or something in the environment outside the cage, so inalways recommend double checking cage parameters, hotspot and ambient temps and humidity, and then looking for anything outside the cage that may have changed.

snakemomGLHS likes this.
  3. snakemomGLHS

Nothing has changed he's been in the same tank, same spot, same house since he got here. Temps and humidity are all good as well.

4. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Hello and welcome to the forum board. I have a younger Hog Island locality boa that I received from a breeder as a baby. She is currently ~4 feet long but in the last 4-6 months has started showing a lot more aggression within her enclosure. Once I have her out she's fine but I feel like I have a decent possibility of being bit or struck at every time I reach in the enclosure. I was given some advice on here to try feeding a little more frequently which has helped. I am not into overfeeding and had backed her feedings off to every 2 weeks but have started now feeding every ~10 days and she is not as edgy in her cage. What are you feeding and are you doing live or f/t? What size enclosure and what are your temps at each end of the gradient as well as basking temp? Humidity? How are you measuring? How often are you handling? I haven't read anything about feeding changing due to breeding behavior in boas but reptiles do sometimes have seasonal swings in their activity / feeding. My immediate suggestion without knowing too much would be to stop handling for the time being and offer an appropriate sized f/t food item using forceps every couple days. What is the snakes reaction when presented with food? When you say aggressive, is s/he striking at you but not at prey being offered?

5. snakemomGLHS

He's in a 55 gallon tank with a mesh lid that is covered 75%to hold in the humidity. His humidity level is 62%and the hot side ranges between 87 and 90 degrees in the cool side between 82 and 84. Changes water every other day. I have not handled him and close to 2 weeks other than changing out his water and cleaning his tank up. He did go to the bathroom this week. The problem is I have no idea where he came from, how old he is, etc. He was a rescue. And his last owners told us he was a retic. Which once we got there we realized they were very wrong. He was in bad shape. Almost died. We feed bi weekly every Sunday afternoon. He usually eats two large live rats, no issue. Now he is completely uninterested. He checks then out, maybe, then goes on about his business trying to explore. Aggression, he hisses. He has done this since we got him when he is in a "bad mood." But now if I even approach the tank he hisses at me. He hasn't bit, has not tried. But... He is clearly agitated. He moves around almost constantly now and tries to escape even. He will be going to the vet this week as I have given him 6 weeks to chill. I have blanketed his tank, increased his temps and done all I can. He won't take frozen thawed. Period. So I am gonna try the vet. I don't know what else to do. I've talked to all my herp friends, and tried everything I can think of or has been suggested. He just stopped eating one day and started acting weird. I'm honestly worried about him.

6. snakemomGLHS

I have tried smaller prey and f/t also. Forgot to mention. I've tried feeding him in his tank, out of his tank(that was our usual rutine), and in a box. He curls up away from his food or tries to wander off.

7. snakemomGLHS

His color is also very dark. He is usually lighter most of the time and only darkens when he is being "moody".

8. jonathan.piazza91

jonathan.piazza91 Active Member

Vet sounds like a good call. I am not sure. Could be a parasite or something.. that's very unusual behavior. I am no expert but I don't know what else you can try.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Almost sounds like the Nicaraguan boa that I had for a while. People I got him from told me how chill he was. When I got there he was in a bare tank with little heat and a screen lid. So yeah, he was chill, not to mention skinny. Got him home, warmed up and a few meals in him and he turned into a jerk. Which I found out is typical for the species, lol.

10. snakemomGLHS

He has finally calmed down! We are going to attempt a feed with a medium rat Saturday. He let me.clean his tank and water bowl today with no hissing and is coiled up and lighter in color again. Hoping he is better.

11. snakemomGLHS

He is still refusing to eat. Not sure what else to do at this time. I tried smaller prey in his tank. Then out a few days later. He's pissy, still but stays coiled during the day as he used to and his color is better. Vet is my next stop.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like it's possible the snake is about to shed. They generally won't feed during shed cycle.

13. snakemomGLHS

He already shed. I waited a week after shed (which again is a long time for him) and tried to feed him a medium rat (usually he eats lg).took him to the vet, he got a clean bill of health. So, we wait.