This Disappears When Logged In

Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by briana1399, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Corner cages are fine, I think Survivorsteph has one. It's all up to personal preference.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

A corner cage is not really feasable since it will be extremely wide at the front but will quickly narrow down to nothing. You will take up a lot of the room but there won't really be that much room inside the cage.
    Unless you are basically cutting a room in half diagonally.

3. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

well I don't plan on that so I think I will stick with the rectangular look :)

4. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Rectangles are easier to put together anyway. Make sure that you put it together in the room it is going to stay in otherwise you'll be in for some trouble when you try to fit a huge enclosure through a tiny hallway/doorway. I know from experience.

5. Merlin

Or make it where it bolts together in panels so it can be assembled and disassembled easily. Thats the way I did mine. Takes a bit more thought but it can be done.

6. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Heh ok. Also he isn't very big and I have a 5/6ft tall, about 3 ft wide and 3 ft deep cabinet thing. The doors open like the ones on your merlin. So if I cut wholes in the sides and put screens there for ventilation then make shift the inside will this be ok for about a month for my iguana? Because I want him happy now and if I can make that work for about a month I can build the bigger one.

7. Merlin

If we are only talking about a month I would just wait and go straight into the bigger enclosure. Moving him twice in that time period will stess him unnecessarily.

Indeed she does, after a fashion.
    And its a beautiful nice cage, too.

When most people talk about a corner cage I get the image of just building a straight wall across a corner. That is what I meant by not big enough.
    Here's Steph's enclosure.
    Well actually Gil's;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok I see what you mean. That is a nice cage.

9. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

LOL... Thanks for posting that, Merlin! Gil's original "adult" cage was a rectangle. My ex built it using standard construction methods (2 x 4s). Needless to say, it was not modular and VERY heavy. After our divorce, I purchased my new (much smaller) home, and literally do not have a single wall that is eight feet long without a door or window. The corner cage was my only option (it's shaped sort of like baseball diamond).

Let me stress that this was a difficult cage to build because of the odd angles that I had to work with. One back wall is 5 feet, and the other back wall is only 4. We framed two patio-door-style doggie doors for the short side walls, and used the door from the original enclosure. It is built with 2 x 2s and is modular so I can take it apart much easier.

Briana, your options are endless; your only constraint is balancing the iguana's requirements with the space you have available. The book I'm sending you has some ideas, too. Do spend time thinking through the size/heat/lighting components as well, because all of those factor into what your iguana requires to thrive.

As always, we're here for advice, suggestions, and to run ideas by.

:)

10. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok I will wait on that book before I go and start making plans on it. Is there any wood/glass/wire I should not use? I'm sure it will say in the book though.

11. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

Here's one shot of Gil's old cage, by the way...

[​IMG]

Wire:

Use THIS
    [​IMG]
    It's WELDED

NOT this
    [​IMG]
    It's WOVEN

As for the rest of construction, if it's safe to use in a child's bedroom then it's probably safe for your ig.

12. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Don't use chicken wire, it cuts off toes. Don't use screen under 1/4" where the light is that has UVB, it screens it out.

Don't use anything that will fall apart, pieces will get eaten. Check for any areas anything can get stuck, feet, tails, heads, bodies.

Think about cleaning it, don't make it hard to clean. Mine can come apart in about 20 mins to be taken outside and hosed off in the summer, and put back together in about 20 mins. and the rest is easy to clean as well but for heavy duty cleaning, hose.

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

So I'm confused how exactly did you make it so it can come apart?

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Mine's a dog kennel so it is made to come apart easily because it is a small one for puppies (and igs :p) But you can make it so it bolts together and doesn't nail.

15. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Kendalle- Do you have pictures of how you have your cage set up?

16. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Until your cage is sorted and after:

Lots of patience, always move slowly, never raise your voice, speak like you speak to a baby and give him lots of attention. Stick to a routine of when you take him out and what you do during that time, this will help him trust you because he can predict what you are going to do.

But most of all, you have to love him like your child and that starts by not calling him an it anymore.;)

17. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

What if he seems like he isn't gaining weight but he seems to be getting longer?

18. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

It's the very top one of the 2nd page.

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Page 4 of this thread has it. And you can find them in another thread of mine somewhere hehe. It says Kermit's new cage

20. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Ok! Sorry I forgot that you put it on here. Where did you find that dog kennel? It opens odd....a good odd though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.