This Disappears When Logged In

Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by briana1399, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

here is a pic of my ig cage that I built over a year ago for my iguana. might give you an idea. the cage is 2 feet deep by 4 feet long and 4 feet high...its not to high because my iguana has only 2 paws with claws and only one fuctioning leg so I didnt make it to high. I'm going to have to upgrade this one when he gets bigger but it wont be for a while.

*note* there is no more saw dust at the bottom I took it out ages ago to make sure of no impaction. its repti carpet now.
    [​IMG]

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The biggest baddest ig gets the top of the tree! Thats where the best baskng and tenderest leaves are.
    Don't design the cage where they are above you. That puts them, in their minds, in a dominant position over you and could cause aggression problems. You want their baskng area at about your eye level.

3. Merlin

This is Zok's cage.
    And my biggest suggestion. If you notice the bottom right side of the cage you can see a small rectangular door. That is a small trap door just big enough to access the water pan and food bowl. This is a very good idea if you have an aggressive male in breeding season who wants to kill you or you have to have someone else feed and water the ig while you are gone. The amenities can be dealt with without haveing the ig being able to get to you.
    The entire cage is 6 ft tall, 4ft wide, completely enclosed in plywood with two outward opening plexiglass doors. The top area is a box, which is removable, to service lights and heat emitter, which are seperated from the rest of the cage by 1x1/2 welded wire mesh.

And its on heavy duty wheels so you can easily move it. Its also a good idea to make the cage in panels, bolted together, which will enable you to take it apart and move it if necessary.
    Nothing like having a nice cage and finding out that it won't fit thru a door!

[​IMG]

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thanks you! What do you have on the bottom?
    Does the heat escape since the cage is mostly all screen?
    What type of bedding do you use?
    Is there anything you would do differently if you had the chance to build it over?

5. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

the last message was for labelleninirose.
    this one is for merlin.
    4ft wide seems to be popular. Ok basking area at eye level and you have a large door then the small trap door. I like it.
    what measurements would you suggest for a long term cage instead of having to make/buy new ones all the time?

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

The size Merlin posted is a great "forever" home.

7. Merlin

Both heat and humidity are extremely difficult to control in a screen cage. It ALL goes out into the room! Which means not only that it takes more energy to heat the cage but your air conditioner has to work that much harder to overcome it.
    You are essentially running the A/C and a heater at the same time. You can go stand outside an watch the electric meter whirl!:eek:

4 ft wide is popular because that is the standard width of a sheet of plywood. You don't have the waste of having to cut up extra sheets.

I would say a minimum of 4 ft x 3-4ft(4 is better) by 6 ft high.

8. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

I use repti carpet for substate and no I dont have any problemes as for the heating for the humidity I have a humidifier and I spray him. most people wont use mesh but I did cause plexi was going to be to expensive for what I had at the moment. my cage is NOT for an adult ig just yet, like I said I will need to upgrade, but the height will stay the same for reason taht my igg falls off easily. and for the things I would do differently is defenatly getting plexi glass...my cage might not be the ideal one but it works for me and my igg.

9. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm at work so I don't have the kind of connection that will allow me to post photos but if I remember when I get home I will show you my iguanas permanent adult set up.
    The enclosure is 7ft tall, 6 wide and 4 deep, but the bottom 3 feet or so of it is a storage area, his basking area is still up high, but I took advantage of what I believed to be wasted space.

His first enclosure was 6ft tall with a 4x4ft footprint and I found that by the age of 2 he had essentally outgrown it length wise. This size can suffice in some cases, but I felt it was unfair to him because I work all day so he didn't get nearly enough time out of the cage.

10. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

If you are able to control the heat and humidity in the room..

i bought a $189 dog kennel at petsmart that is 4'x4'x5' and added shelves, and bought a $20 coroplast sheet (its plastic cardboard) for the floor and backdrop (comes in all colors however white and black is cheaper) at a sign store. I got one for my iguana and one for a guinea pig cage ... the people there look at you like your crazy but it works well

there are lots of plans on line (and on this site) and in the iguana manual that they told you about for enclosed and screen

I found that screen is hard to get, it either comes in small or huge amounts

Just don't use wire chicken wire it cuts off toes

there is plastic chicken wire (not coated, all plastic) at hardware stores like home depot

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] This is my cage and his out side of cage climbing thing the second pic is right after i got the cage, i had to cover it with plastic chicken wire as mine was just small enough to get out, and it was before he got his kitty cabana and other shelves.

He has his own room that has no heat and no air conditioning so i can control the heat and humidity.

12. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thanks everyone! I will definitely use all of these pictures and comments to make my iggy's cage. I will get pictures up as soon as I get it done (which will be a while) so all of you can see! Thank you so much. Feel free to post pictures and comments more. I will be coming back to this thread often.

13. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Nice iguana by the way!

14. Moshpitrockchick

Here's my enclosure:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Wow lacey, you are actually IN the cage,lol. I had to look twice so early in the am and not much sleep,LOL.

16. Merlin

LOL she does have a good sized cage! But that is a good representation of how big is needed.
    I actually locked my wife inside Zok's cage when we were painting it for a joke.
    I DID let her out though!;)

17. wgnelson

wgnelson Elite Member

Pray tell, who was happier when you unlocked the enclosure, Zok:confused: or your loving wife?:mad:;)

18. Merlin

LOL Zok wasn't in there at the time! The cage was still under construction and didn't have a top yet.
    Luckily my wife has a good sense of humor!
    She has to, to put up with ME!

19. Moshpitrockchick

Sure am, I spend a lot of time in there scraping snalt off of the walls and windows, it's so tall that it's much easier to clean from the inside out.

I got locked in my old cage numerous times by my boyfriend who was trying to be funny. This cage doesn't have locks on it because the windows are so heavy and poorly hung that the iguana can't budge them, but any person being held captive can.

20. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Thanks for the pictures. Would any one suggest cages that sit in the corner of the room? Or no because if you move you may not have the room and a regular cage will probably be easier to place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.