This Disappears When Logged In

Mean Iggy

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by briana1399, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I have a green iguana not very old...but very mean. I can't handle him at all and he freaks out any time any one goes near his cage. I don't know what to do. I do not want to get rid of him because he is mean. I just wouldn't know what to do with a 6-7ft animal that is horribly mean. Any suggestions on how to get him/her to calm down? Or maybe why so mean?

2. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

How long have you had him. Maybe you are being too bold with your handling. Iguana's are kind of hard, you can't back down but you also shouldn't stress them out too much, but also should take care not to get bit.

When young they are very flighty as well.

The Ultimate Owners Manual for Green Iguana's is a great book to help about handling.

3. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Patience and time! I have tamed a couple wild animals and the key is spending a lot of time with and gaining their trust.

4. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

I've had him/her for maybe a year or so. It is pretty small, still just a baby.
    I'll take a look at the link. Other than that I try not to be to rough or aggressive handling it because I don't want it to think I'm going to hurt her. I've heard feeding them anything live turns them mean and is impossible to reverse. Is that true?

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Uh what do you mean by live? Iguanas are vegetarians!
    Exactly what are you feeding?
    And while you are at it give us the rest of the rundown on how you are caring for it.

6. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

About a week after I got my iguana I took a trip to my hometown. The day I left my mom called and asked me why he wasn't eating, then she told me she put a cricket in his cage. I had her change what she put in there (she didn't know he was a vegetarian) and now I mainly use turnip greens, collard greens, and a few others. I like to put peppers in his food once in a while but I was unsure of how often he could have them. I use a bigger pieced bark as his bedding that I was considering switching to paper towels for easier clean up but I didn't know if that was a good move or not. I turn off all his lights at night and keep his heat on. His heat isn't ceramic though I moved my ceramic one to my red tailed boa now my iggy has a red heat source. But I recently read that it was not a good idea to use it so I need to go get another ceramic. He also doesn't seem to get a lot of water I know they usually don't drink out of bowls. He likes to lick the walls when I mist the cage. He is in a critter keeper and I'm fairly sure that it is a 40 gallon.

7. Merlin

First off you need to get rid of the bark. It poses an impaction risk. There is no particulate substrate subtable for iguana. Most use newspapers.
    A 40 gallon tank is not big enough. A 55 is the smallest recommended and that is for hatchlings. You need a much larger cage. The size you have him in is part of the problem, he feels trapped and YOU are a predator. Also iguanas are an arboreal animal. To them height is safety. You need a cage that is tall.
    Do you have a UVB light on him? This is necessary for them to metabolize the calcium in their diet.

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

9. Merlin

And if you want to get serious about this(and I HIGHLY suggest it) Pick up a copy of James Hatfield's "Green Iguana, The Ultimate Owners Manual."
    About 20 bucks at Petsmart.

10. labelleninirose

labelleninirose Elite Member

Merlin is right, I bought that book when I found my iguana on my lawn and that book has taught me everything I know about iggs! It's the iguana owner's Bible! If you're a first time ig owner you need that book!

11. LovetheBaruu

LovetheBaruu Subscribed User Premium Member

WAIT? WHAT? How did I miss this story?

12. Merlin

13. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

I'll even send you the book for free. It's THAT important. You do have to read it though. ;)

PM me your mailing address (don't post it here), and I'll get it out to you this week.

:)

14. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Yes I have a UVB light on him I will go look for this book online and if not I'll run to the pet store. I'm jumping to a 75 gallon after I get paid this Friday. Paper towels would work also I'm guessing?

15. nicole

nicole Elite Member

Paper towels are fine, they will shed them with their claws upon ocassion.

16. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

You might want to save the money spent on a 75 gallon tank and draw up some plans for a tank that'll equal out to be at least 1,000 gallons. Mine right now is 7' tall, 6' long and 4' deep. He'll need something huge in no time.

Paper towels will work great, newspaper is cheaper in the long run though.

17. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

so it wont hurt if i keep him in this wide 40 gallon for a little longer until i can get him the homemade one?

18. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Steph- I sent you a PM of my address let me know if you get it please.

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

My iguana used to be in a cage that she out grew, it was 30" wide 30" deep and 4' tall and she got to be more territorial and aggressive as she out grew it. This summer she moved into a dog kennel (inside) that i modified for her, so its 4' wide x 4' deep by 5 foot tall and is soo much sweeter.

And no, i don't think that if you feed them something alive they will be aggressive and can't be changed, it hurts their kidneys shortens their life and is highly un-recommended but some have been in horrible situations where they were fed mice, meat, bugs, fish and so on and still been tame. Don't give up on your ig

20. briana1399

briana1399 Elite Member

Kendalle- So it might be the cage size...ok I will work drawing out plans to build one. I know that they like to be above you (don't like you coming to them from above) so I'm sure this will play along into the design.

If ANYONE has any suggestions on the design or how the cage is set up please let me know! I don't want to mess that up to!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.