This Disappears When Logged In

Mealworms As Staple Food?

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by GoldenGoat, Jan 24, 2018.

1. GoldenGoat

GoldenGoat Member

After looking into all the different insects for leos, it seems to me that mealworms are the easiest to breed. Would these be ok as the staple food for a gecko? If not, how often should i add in crickets or superworms?
    For gutloading feeder insects, should i seperate the ones i am going to feed and fatten them up the day before? Or would placing food for them inside the whole breeding container be ok and then i pick out the ones to feed to the gecko? And lastly i assume i would dust the mealworms with calcium just as i would the crickets.
    All the little things are coming together, can't wait to bring my new gecko home in a few weeks!

2. Atroxus

Atroxus Well-Known Member

I have found several sources that indicated that leos can be fed entirely on mealworms. Anything else for variety would be optional.

I don't know of any reason you couldn't feed the mealworms in the breeding container.

Yes, you should dust mealworms the same as crickets. :)

3. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Dubias are also easy to breed. And alot healthier than mealworms when gut-loaded. They make a great staple!
    The more variety of food the healthier the gecko!

4. iRene

iRene Elite Member

I have had a much easier time breeding dubia roaches than mealworms. The roaches reproduce much faster than mealworms. Especially as the leo grows roaches will be a better food. Feeding an adult leo can take ten times as many mealworms as roaches. I offer mealworms as variety but they are so slow to keep breeding that I gave up after several attempts.

I usually keep around a dozen roaches in a small cage on a gut load diet. No matter what prey you offer dusting should happen. My breeding colony eats fish pellets and fresh vegetable scraps. I use repashy for gut load. Once a week I pull what feeders I will need and load up the small cage.

5. AmityReptiles

Dubias really are sooo easy. Just alittle bit of heat and some veggies and they will breed. I use for food mostly vegetable scraps and rabbit food, with some ferret food for alittle protein. The total mix is about 18% protein if I remember correctly.
    To make the container, get a Rubbermaid plastic storage tub, cut a hole in the top, and glue some wire mesh over the hole, then just putt some eggcrate flats in the container.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Personally I'm not a big fan of mealworms as a staple, the meat to shell ratio on them isn't that good, especially compared to dubias. And really the more variety you can provide the better.

7. GoldenGoat

GoldenGoat Member

Thats good to know about the dubias; how big should the leo be before i start feeding him roaches, just because i know they're a fair bit larger than worms. I think i remember something about prey being no bigger than the distance between their eyes?

8. AmityReptiles

Dubias are born very small. You are correct about the distance between the eyes thing, but a baby Dubia should be small enough, they're basically the size of tic-tacs.