This Disappears When Logged In

Maybe?

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by Wynd, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Okies, I've been studying the food guides to get an idea of what to feed them (well, a better idea). Any suggestions on what I should give them first here? The woman says they get "a bit of salad now and then" :( I am guessing it's a salad mix, so lettuce, lettuce and lettuce. Poor kids :( I'm making a list of healthy foods to buy before we get them, so I will have something decent before they arrive. Thanks guys and dolls!

2. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

Make sure you have some some inverts available, and any of the staple greens. Also, since they were kept in such poor conditions I'd recommend giving them a pure calcium supplement once a day.

3. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Yes I have my own mealworm colony and will be getting some dubias as well :)

4. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

So am chatting with the mother, who is very concerned about the beardies. I gave her links to the care sheet here, especially the feeding section. I also asked her to please remove the bark and just use paper towel or newspaper (and explained why). Also asking what kind of UVB bulb they are using and how old it is. They are both kept in a 50G (although from the size I am sure it is actually a 33G). Apparently the previous owner kept them on hay :confused:

5. Komododragon12

Komododragon12 Elite Member

It's amazing the things that people do to reptiles...

6. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

I agree. I can't really fully blame them, they were doing what the pet store said was best. However people should research any animal they wish to own, before they acquire it.

7. Komododragon12

Yeah, definitely!

8. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

I think so many people live in a world where they assume everyone else will tell them what needs to be done, without doing any research whatsoever. That needs to change, big time!

9. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I agree! Some people are just plain lazy, some are ignorant and don't feel it necessary to know how to care about an animal and even a baby. Some people just shouldn't have pets or have children!

10. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Agreed!

11. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

The absolute worse rescue I ever got in was a female black hamster, we named her "Flower"(I refuse to have a hamster named Hammy lol). She was given to me by a lady who's 6 year old daughter stopped taking care of her (A 6 yr old responsible for a pet????) Well poor little Flower was so obese she could hardly move. I took her out to look over her. Poor babies nails had grown into her paw pads!! I trimed them and pulled the tips out of her paw pads. A few hours after she got her she got really cold and lethargic. I held her on my chest with a blanket over her. Flower died in my arms warm and loved. She was in my house for 8 hours, I only wish I had got her sooner!
    Before any parent gives a child a pet they must understand that it is the adults responsiblity to make sure the animals basic needs are met. Not set in a cage in your kids room to be neglected.

12. Komododragon12

That's sad. :(

13. mld

Just checking when are you getting the beardies?

14. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

It may be this week, or beginning of January :) Depends on if they will let them come here before I pay them, lol.

15. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Just got 3 more photos from them. The boy is a teen, not sure how old though. They look large, lol!

Attached Files:

16. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

They had lizards that big in a small aquarium..... oh those poor things.

17. mld

I hope you get them soon, he looks so dark!

18. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

They are big, aren't they?! My dragons before were not that large, lol. Thankfully their new homes are large, so they will have room to move about, get proper heat and UVB and food ;) Not long yet!

19. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Blah, no lettuce! Dark, leafy greens. Sorry I missed that post. Collard, dendelion, and mustard greens and kale and bak choi for greens, peas and carrots can be added, too. Greens should be shredded to a size small enough that they can eat it without extra hanging out of their mouths, and peas and carrots should be chopped up.

20. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Perfect ;)