This Disappears When Logged In

May Sound a Bit Odd... but a Picture Request :)

Discussion in 'Herp Awareness' started by RockyGurly, Jul 18, 2013.

1. RockyGurly

RockyGurly Well-Known Member

Lots of awesome pictures! I love anatomy :) Thanks! :D
    Crushed walnuts :( Poor little guy. When I volunteered at the pet store I had four beardies come back to me in a month because of impaction.

2. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Its a shame the pictures arent clearer. It wouldve been nice to have a closer look at the liver and kidneys. I think what gets labeled as impaction so often is more related to dehydration, but as soon as a bunch of guck is located in the tract, its just usually written off as such. Im not saying that crushed walnut isnt bad stuff, same with calci sand and any of the other substrates that swell and stick together when wet, just that I feel like impaction is a effect rather than a cause in many cases I think.

3. RockyGurly

Hmm.. you make a good point. So impaction can be caused by dehydration (which would make it hard to pass anything) (but it can also happen to healthy reptiles with poor substrate choices) that's something to keep in mind for rescues and to put in my dehydration notes. Thanks!
    I'm seeing a lot of things just being signs of an underlying issue: poor husbandry. Most of this stuff is preventable if only people would do their homework.. or just not get the animal in the first place. I saw one of mike the reptile guy's videos with turtles who had holes drilled into their shells to attach handles, a basilisk who had been in a too small enclosure with a too hot lamp, aquatic turtles being kept in desert conditions... it's bad. It needs to stop.

4. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

You are right. Bad husbandry accounts for maybe 75% (guess) of problems. Respiratory infection, impaction, mouth rot, mites etc is a husbandry issue. Tweaking husbandry learning what's good and bad for the animal can make all the difference in the world.

I had a snake that I got it had cryptosporidium. Didn't know it at the time. If I had not followed my strict quarantine proceedures my collection would be gone. Inclusion Body Disease in snakes is soo bad and horrible.

There are parasite, genetic problems, others I'm forgetting that occur out of dumb luck. But its not often.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  5. RockyGurly

Seeing an animal in deplorable conditions makes it hard to pinpoint what he could be suffering from, so I'm going to start poking into symptoms of specific illnesses/ailments caused by specific things regarding poor husbandry (poor substrate: impaction, overbred: dystocia, doesn't dechlorinate: toxing out, etc etc) to hopefully make treatment come faster, since that's going to be the number one thing I run into, especially with rescue animals.
    Digging into this kind of thing and seeing all the crud people put these animals through makes my blood boil and my resolve strengthen.
    (It also made me wave a new net for my crestie last night :-" )

6. TJOHNSON722

TJOHNSON722 Elite Member

Be warned a lot of the symptoms are the same.

7. RockyGurly

Ah, poo :< I'm realizing that. I'm trying to sort through anything I can pinpoint, versus anything that needs bloodwork or a fecal to diagnose, or anything that could be anything.

8. RockyGurly

So I'm not even sure if anyone's still following this... :p
    BUT: currently getting my herp first aid kit set up, and my book has about 30 pages of herpy goodness in it. I've got a spare binder to use for "profiles" and I'm basically just working on my facebook page/website since I can't do any more physical stuff.
    And more researching. But I have a feeling that'll be an ongoing thing. A lot of it is gobblty gook to me since so many symptoms are almost identical and treatments are similar and this that and the other thing. But I am picking up some awesome tips, and I'm working on being able to identify as many herps as I can