This Disappears When Logged In

Massive Iguana Cage Build

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by CryHavoc17, Nov 30, 2013.

1. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Breaking ground today on my adult iguana enclosure today. Just a pile of lumber now, but it will soon be an 8x7x4 (length, height, width)

Ill be keeping you guys updated as we go with this thread!

20131130_132016.jpg

2. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

It would be fantastic if you could picture document the build. People are always looking for 'plans" to build an enclosure. I could easily create a guide out of a picture documentary. ;)

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Ok rich ill do my best to try and show how we did it.

The design is more complex then it has to be, but its got some nice features. Every wall is framed and completely supported by itself. This means that each wall (or in the case of the back the 2 panels that make up the wall) are being built and finished outside where there is more space, and when we bring them in all we have to do is bolt them together. This will allow the cage to breakdown quickly and easily in the future, as we will have to move it at some point in the next couple of years.

Its also built so that all of the framing (aside from the cieling supports) is external. The plywood panels will fit together perfectly with no internal framing. This makes the sealing, waterproofing, and caulking much much easier. On our last build I found that internal framing gave a lot more opportunities for moisture to work its way into the walls.

We used a lghter grade of plywood, 1/2 in instead of 3/4, mostly for weight concerns. We didn't want this sucker to be impossible to pick up. As it is the walls are still bloody heavy.

We have the cieling panel and floor done (just need to finish sealing) with the rest of our lumber cut to size but still to be assembled

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

20131130_170647.jpg
    20131130_170640.jpg
    20131130_170640.jpg

This is the floor and cieling. Step one (not pictured) is to build an L frame out of two by twos. The plywood then drops into that frame flush and is screwed into place. Then additional supports are nailed to the frame, then screwed into the plywood. The floor and cieling are designed identical, but the cross framing is on opposite sides. This provides support to the cieling and gives me beams on the cieling to mount cage lighting without putting strain on the plywood, which would cause the roof to sag over time. We are sealing the plywood with minwax water based poly. We were planning on painting over the poly, but the wood looks so nice we may leave as is

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Having it to where you can disassemble and reassemble the panels is a good idea. I did that years ago when I built mine.
    Another thing to consider is to put heavy weight castors on the bottom so it can be rolled around.
    I am looking forward to seeing the end result.

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Castors are an awesome idea! I did this with my last cwd cage and it was great to be able to move it around when I was moving other furniture, or to clean behind it, or access any of the electrical stuff but still keep all the wiring hidden from view.