This Disappears When Logged In

Manzanita Wood For Snakes Enclosures

Discussion in 'Cage Furniture - Accessories' started by Beastie, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

So I live in an area very ripe with manzanita bushes, they don't mind you collecting them from the forested areas because it burns hot during wildfires and takes up space for the more important trees; it's also freaking beautiful and would look great in my enclosures, and it's twisty, vineness (I know that's not a word) would probably be good enrichment for climbing up. My question is would I just treat it like any other collected wood and bake or bleach soak? Would I have to remove the bark or could I keep it on? I would love to keep the red bark look if possible since it adds to the beauty of it.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Your going to get some different opinions on this. Me personally, so long as there are no bugs on it I just rinse it off and toss it in the cage. Never had an issue, and I can use pieces that would never fit in a conventional oven. I'm not aware of any issues concerning the bark, so you can likely keep it on. I know I do with the branches and wood I harvest for cage use, but I'm not using manzanita either.

Beastie likes this.
  3. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I'm paranoid so I would prefer cleaning it first usually, I'm curious what if I stuck it in the deep freezer for awhile?

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have used natural branches in cages for over 20 years. And like Darkbird I frequently used peices far too large to put in an oven. All I ever did was take a bristle brush and give them a good scrubbing. This means removing any loose bark but that which is still secure is left on.

Darkbird and Beastie like this.
  5. Darkbird

There is nothing wrong with baking/freezing items to sanitize them before putting them in an enclosure, I just don't feel it necessary with stuff I have collected. Now, anything I get from a dealer or buy used, that's a whole different story. Cork bark being a good example, not to mention hides and other such pieces. Those will get sanitized in one way or another.

Merlin and Beastie like this.
  6. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I'm excited to get some manzanita!

7. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Would it be possible to seal this wood with polycrylic and toss some sand at it so it has a little bit of roughness while still looking nice and also preserving the look of the wood?

8. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Manzanita is a pretty durable wood, I wouldn't think you'd need to seal it.
    Unless it's constantly soaking wet it should be fine.

9. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

It is, it was fun to cut off the plant lol, but mostly I figured sealing it would preserve the beautiful red bark and not let it dry out and peel off and the sand would give it a little added roughness for rubbing against during shedding.

10. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I also found a really nice piece of Cactus skeleton that would make a great hide, could I seal that with polycrylic as well? There would be no harm in sealing these types of "wood" would there?

11. Darkbird

It won't harm anything to seal the pieces, but I personally wouldn't bother. When I have cut stuff green for cages before, the bark usually stays on once the wood dries out anyway. Just experiment with a couple scrap pieces before doing anything to any sections your particularly fond of.

Beastie likes this.
  12. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

I think I will seal the Cactus skeleton regardless but I'm not too worried about any particular pieces of manzanita since it's a plentiful resource.