This Disappears When Logged In

Mantis

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by DwarvenChef, Jul 20, 2012.

1. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

The other day I was getting ready for some D3 with my beer, cheese and crackers, when I noticed my moniter move in a weird way. Than the movement jumped to the cpu... What the heck... (puts on glasses) COOL "Get the camera kid!" A green mantis was dincing on top the side of my CPU. We have them outside and this must have hitched a ride in when I got home from work. I plopped it into a spare tub I have and now feed it Crix and anything small enough I can locate.

Have pics up later, like when I get the frigging chip off my daughter...

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

They are very interesting insects.
    I kept two in a large container once. Next morning, one was missing a head.

3. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

IMG_2301.jpg

Got my kid to take a pic, TONS better than the one I took with my phone LOL

Ya they are rather oportunistic feeders, anything that wiggles is fiar game LOL

Attached Files:

4. justor

justor Elite Member

Very cool. I found one in my house last year and decided to let it stay free in the house. I saw it from time to time for the next few months and even found one of its molts. Then one day I found it dead on top my entertainment center.

5. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

One report I read says they only live 6 months, I find that hard to believe. I guess I'm about to find out :p

6. nessy

nessy Well-Known Member

You are very brave!

7. Wolfbandit

Wolfbandit Elite Member

I saw the same facts and was upset about it. My bf caught one at his job and brought it home. I was going to redecorate it's cage, but I don't even know if it will live long enough to take advantage of it =[

8. mele

mele Elite Member

Very pretty.

9. Mulder

Mulder Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a mantis that hit nine months old a few weeks ago. She's still active and voracious all the time.

10. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Bugger has doubled in size, trying to get a good pic, my daughter is arguing with reflective surfaces at the moment LOL

11. Alyssa8

Alyssa8 Active Member

A year ago I found a praying mantis in the middle of the road while riding my bike. I took it home for a day and put it in a tank with plants. In the morning I found what looked like a brown ball of styrofoam on one of the plant stems. Next thing I know the styrofoam ball broke and like 500 of those little critters came pouring out. It was actually really cool to see that many mini mantis', and letting them go free outside.

12. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Mantids are awesome. I'm not "up" on then, but I was fortunate enough to take this attractive photo one evening:
    IMG_0875.jpg

And... D3? People still play it? Buddy told me it was a mega flop...