This Disappears When Logged In

Mantids

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by BrianS, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

I have also kept Mantids alot. In fact I have kept them since I was a kid lol ;)
    Here are some fotos of my Chinese Mantids.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the mom to the ones above. I kept her in 2003. May she R.I.P. :(
    [​IMG]

2. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

i recently lost a mantis too. a friend and i found her outside at work in October of this year. we let her stay at work as our free roaming mantis cuz she caught the escapee crickets. i named her Juliet and i always knew where to find her. one week in October while i was away she made an egg sac on the side of a cage. a little while after that she made another one. i took her home one night and she stayed with me for about a week and she started to make another one. she never finished it though and passed away around the middle of November. i was very sad. my dad took her up to my grandfather's garden and buried her there like i asked him to. she let me hold her and everything. and when i talked to her she would tilt her head in my direction. it was cool. i'm hoping at least one of the egg sacs is a good one so she can live on thru the little babies. :) great pics though. i like the last 2 the best. they're such neat creatures.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Mantids are so cool to watch! When I was a kid they were very common. We used to catch them, keep them for a while then turn them loose. It was fun to catch flies and then watch them stalk them.
    Very nice pictures.

4. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

Merlin, I used to do the same thing lol :D

5. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Me too Me too!!!!

We used to scare the stuffing out of my mother and set them free in the house....gotta love mantids.....Lyn

6. SKULLMAN

SKULLMAN Elite Member

those things give me the heebe jeebes,we have tons of light green ones around work and i freak out every time i see one.but your pics are pretty cool
    (as a man i am not proud of the comments above and wish this to stay in the group)LOL :D

7. DarkMagician207

i used to be afraid of them too and was quite happy to see something like that at a distance. snakes used to give me the creeps too! lol.. :)

8. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

They are actually pretty docile creatures. All the Old Timers around here always called them Devil's Horses or Devil's Darning Needle lol.

9. DarkMagician207

they are. i know mine was. :) those are interesting names. never heard them before lol

10. Merlin

Thats what they were called when I was a kid. We were also told that they were poisonous!
    Luckily we had no intention of eating them! ;)

11. MiamiE

MiamiE Active Member

they dont look to mean and i havent had any luck finding them down here in south florida.

12. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I'll have to make a road trip to find me a Mantid!
    Wisconsin isn't the place to find them I guess! :p

13. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

I have several mantid egg cases if any of you all are interested in trying to raise some. Send me a PM or email
    [​IMG]

14. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I would love one, but isn't it too cold to ship them right now?
    Besides...what do they eat when their born!?

15. BrianS

BrianS Elite Member

It doesn't get too cold to ship these. They are outside all Winter long. In fact I keep them in the refrigerator so they won't hatch out until I'm ready.
    You feed the hatchlings pinhead crickets and/or fruitflies.

16. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

If Brian runs out, you can also buy the oothecas at garden shops. They sell them as nature-friendly pest control. Too bad they don't say what specuies they are though, but I think they're chinese. Yeah, you can order them pinhead crix or fruit flies. There's a couple hundred in each ootheca though, so chances are the stronger ones will lower the population by eating the weaker ones too.

17. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Sounds good to me!! :D
    I'll let ya know....

18. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Wait a sec! How in the world do you feed them fruit flies without the flies escaping?
    Those are so tiny!
    And also...how big of a tank do you need to have these hatched out?

19. Merlin

Jem they have bred a type of fruitfly to be wingless.

20. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I need to do more research eh? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.