This Disappears When Logged In

Male Mating with Another Male?

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Stang67, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Stang67

Stang67 Member

Hello so this might be a weird question but I have two iguanas about 2 years apart in age that I was told were both males.. So Krypto I have had for 8 years and Joker I got as a rescue when he was about 2 years old. Both of them are free roaming but are pretty much always right next to the other. So long story short Krypto has been going through his breeding behaviors regularly for years now but Joker hasn't. Joker size is pretty small for his/her age since the lack of food and light it received when it was younger.( also now he/she does not like to sit under a heat or uvb light for very long and sometimes is found sleeping under my pillow ) So recently Krypto saw his reflection and started stalking himself so when I removed him from the room with the mirror he became very angry and puffed up and chased me around the house until I was able to close him in a room. After a few days of giving him his space and not letting Joker be in the same room ( although both iguanas were seen sitting on opposite sides of a door frame with their noses touching the other ..fyi I have cute pics of that if anyone wants to see ) so after a few days of watching Joker just by the door where Krypto was in the bathroom on the side and watching Krypto return to his loving self I let them back into the same room .. So within a few minutes of seeing Joker, Krypto then tried to mate with him ( which makes me think he might be a she ) so my question do males always attack other males or do they mate with other males as well... Cut to a few days later and Joker has loss their appetite and is not pooping and will not stay under the lights more then 2 minutes .. any info is greatly appreciated

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I hope your willing to keep an open mind, because the way your keeping these iguanas is a very bad idea, both for their health and yours. For your health, because a male iguana in breeding mode tends to get extremely territorial, and will do serious damage to you in defense of that territory. For their health, because having one ig free roam doesn't provide the proper humidity, or temps usually, and with 2 there will be an incredible amount of stress between them, usually to the detriment of the health of at least one. I'm sure thats the reason the smaller one won't bask properly, and likely has a lot do do with it still being small. I'm going to be blunt here, you need to seperate these two and get them into proper caging as soon as possible. I promise you, they are not "buddies" and will do better seperated. Iguanas only come together in the wild to mate, and can do some damage to each other even then. Keeping 2 in close proximity in captivity is just never a good idea.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And if it turns out that they are males, they may end up fighting to the point of serious injury or death. And males have been known to kill females who were not receptive.
    You are playing Russian roulette here!
    BIG TIME!

4. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yeah there are no such things as buddy reptiles, the only time as stated with green iguanas come together are to mate, and even other reptiles, the only reason they band together are for a defense mechanisim (they can care less who is there as long as there is safety in numbers..... and as you are letting them free roam, they are not getting adaquate heat or humidity they will get when properly caged, the elements they need for sustaining proper health would destroy your house.... (60-65% humidity). and like merlin said, your dominant male will kill the submissive other for territory or it will happen over time by not letting him bask properly or will starve him/her out...... you need to properly house these animals as soon as you can separatly.....

5. Stang67

Stang67 Member

I hope this doesn't sound the wrong way but I'm willing to keep an open mind about two iguanas not being being buddies but I hope someone else can realize that iguanas in the wild are not kept in cages and the thrive outside in the wild... I believe that there is a way for them to be outside of a cage ...they do get proper sunlight and basking lights daily ..they eat and poop daily and have been doing this for over 6 years... maybe the fact of caging an animal changes their behavior but these two iguanas will follow each other around the house and bask under the same light all the time despite having other basking spots throughout the house ...and its not always the same spot but they are always together...as of right now they are back together but I did separate them for 3 weeks but they both just sat by the door of the other one and barely ate ... I put them both in cages under proper lightings and they didn't eat as much... I slow reintroduced them and they are right back to their old selfs ... I understand that some people think it's wrong but there are other ways to raise iguanas ...thank you

6. Stang67

Stang67 Member

image.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Stang67

Stang67 Member

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You are asking for trouble!
    Apparently not, since you keep arguing the point! This is more about what you want than what the iguanas actually need.
    No iguana are not in a cage in the wild, but in the event of aggression, or unrequited mating intentions, one has the option to flee to another area to escape the aggressor. Usually being chased out of the area!
    And if unable to leave, they are attacked and injured or killed.
    The behavior you are describing is not "being buddies" but is actually low level aggression, which can quickly escalate. And even low level aggression/dominance can stress the subordinate animal into not eating or basking. This starts a slow spiral down, weakening their immune system and making them more susceptible to illness.

They stopped eating when you caged them because you changed things. Iguanas are creatures of habit and slow to adjust to changes in their living conditions. You seem to have a problem with being told that what you are doing, while YOU may like it, is not in the best interest of the animals.
    And just as a background, I have been keeping green iguanas since back in the 70's. I am not just replaying something that I read. If you care about the welfare of your igs, you need to change this now.