This Disappears When Logged In

Making PVC Climbable for Water Dragons

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by SpidaFly, Oct 3, 2013.

1. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

Anyone have any experience making PVC climbs for small to medium clawed lizards? I am doing this primarily for my new water dragon hatchling, he's smaller than thumb sized - very new. His cage is big so there's plenty of room for experimentation. I plan on building climbs made of 3" PVC.

Trouble with the PVC vs claws, of course, is that PVC is slick. Dragon can't dig in with his nails like he can with wood.

Has anyone come up with solutions for making PVC climbable?

My current concept is to wrap the PVC and joints in brown outdoor rated synthetic carpet, but when the lizard gets bigger I bet he'll tear it up somethin' bad. So I'm trying to brainstorm on more elegant solutions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I wrapped mine in rope. see: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. SpidaFly

SpidaFly Elite Member

4. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

If you don't do it as tightly you won't need such an absurd amount of rope. I did some stuff for otis like that, I just left about 1 inch between wraps. He climbed on it just fine, tho I ended up getting rid of it cuz I liked real wood better

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you have access to a torch you can use it to scorch the PVC and make it rough. It will also brown it and give it a more wooden like appearance.
    Just be sure and do it outside with the wind blowing away from you. Burning PVC is pretty noxious stuff!