This Disappears When Logged In

Making Plans for Adult Cwd Enclosure.

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by epictreasure, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

2. epictreasure

epictreasure Elite Member

Thank you

3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

NO problem.

4. epictreasure

Is pine okay as framing for an enclosure as long as it is sealed properly? Im trying my best to stay away from it but I cant find anything else for the framing. Unless someone knows where a good place to buy lumber is near dayton ohio.
    Thank you

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Both pine and the much maligned cedar are fine as building materials. It will be sealed anyway. Its the use of these materials shavings as bedding that is to be avoided

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I used all pine plywood and 1x3s when I built tais cage and he did fine.

7. epictreasure

8. epictreasure

locks?

Do I need a lock for sliding glass doors or will they be heavy enough by themselves?
    Thanks for all the help.

9. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

They are heavy enough by themselves if you dont want to mess with the locks. Though I personally likeing having locks on cages just so people cant get into them without me being around and monitoring how they handle the lizards and making sure the lizards arent stressed by it.

10. epictreasure

Ok. Thanks. Its going in my room for now so it should be fine without a lock but I still have some time to think about it.
    Have some money saved up now, planning on starting the build soon. Hope Damon likes it when im done.

11. epictreasure

what uvb lighting would you suggest?

In my current exo terra 36"l x 18"w x 18"t, I have a exo terra pro series 125watt MVB. And a uvb tube that I bought at petsmart that came with a hood. If in my new enclosure I build a basking spot near that, is that all I will need or what do you recommend?
    I dont have a UV meter and cant figure out how much UVB a water dragon needs. Is tube UVB or an MVB better? If tube, what length of tube would you recommend for a 6'L x 2.5'W x 7'H wooden enclosure?
    Thank you for all your help.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

MVB bulbs jsut arent great at sustaining UVB production over any length of time-Unless you get the Mega ray brand as the exoterra and zoomed are just poor quality bulbs. It would be a much better option to go with the tube UVBs as the new HO reptisuns and the Arcadia brand bulbs have excellent uvb production and will be a much better value.

I would do 2 36in fixtures this way it would span the entire length of the cage.

13. epictreasure

Would I just put those across the back or center? And 5.0 or 10.0?
    Thank you so much for all your help.

14. epictreasure

Or would I put one in the back and the other in the front?

15. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Depends on how you set up the tank. I personally would have one in the back on one side (right next to the heat lamp so it overlaps the basking spot) of the cage and place the other one in the front of the opposite side of the cage. Go with the 10.0s

16. epictreasure

Can the t5 high output uvb tube lights be used in the t5 ho fixtures from places like the home depot or are they best in the fixtures made for reptile enclosures?

Here are the ones I was looking at from home depot:
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/ViaVolt-2-ft-T5-High-1-Bulb-Output-Fluorescent-Grow-Light-Fixture-V21/203124380/

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-1-Light-4-ft-High-Output-White-T5-Fluorescent-Multi-Volt-Strip-Light-Z-1-54T5HO-MVOLT-GEB10PS/203636696/

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-2-Light-High-Output-Multi-Volt-T5-Compact-White-Strip-Light-ZR-2-54T5HO-MVOLT-GEB10PS/203137160/

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Yes but the homedepot lights dont have a reflector so you would need to either buy one to fit in it or make one. Making one wouldnt be too hard as aluminum foil would do the trick.