This Disappears When Logged In

Making a Custom Enclosure

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by SpookyCheerios, Oct 26, 2012.

1. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

lol Thal I gladly would except my big beardies and their cages are at the high school for the week! The environmental science teacher asked to borrow them for the week! So they are being spoiled endlessly for the week hahaha. When we pick them up Friday I will gladly take a pic =) But it was a creation of my imagination after reading about how they live in the wild.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That's not an acceptable excuse...just saying.:D

3. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

*breaks in high school to snap pic*

4. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Ok now where's the pic!?!

5. SpookyCheerios

SpookyCheerios Elite Member

For future clarifications: I am a she xD My name is Lizzy.

Because of how high the tank is, we are using styrofoam, grout and paint to make a large basking platform that kind of wraps around the tank (kind of like a double staircase like fancy rich people have in their "grand entrance ways" xD. I ALWAYS use hammocks and will somehow be incorporating one (or a few) into the tank. The fake plants are more for me actually. I think it will fill up some empty space in the corners and near the top and look nice, she's getting too fat to try and climb them anyway. I am also incorporating my driftwood pieces which are beautiful and I could never give up <3

Sooooo >.> simply because we have the extra glass, we may be building a second enclosure and just stacking them from the floor up. They are pretty huge (which I loooove). They will be a couple feet short of reaching the ceiling (when stacked). So I guess I will have to buy another beardie to fill said second tank <.< >.>.

(Don't worry, I have a quarantine tank in another room.)

6. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Poor poor lizzy! Such a sacrifice you must make! I think you should take up those extra feet and put a third enclosure on top!

7. SpookyCheerios

Tempting, but I would need a step ladder to reach it!

Oh! and to make it even better, my local exotics store/breeder is having a post hurricane beardie sale! $20 off any beardie >.< They're making this so difficult.

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Which is great for you but that is a horrible idea!
    "Here kids your house is flooded, but have a pet that we haven't researched but is cheap! Now shush so I can mop!"

9. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Hi Lizzy! I am Terri and also female! hahaha. I wasn't sure and hate to insult so I errored on the side of caution o:) because crow (even warm) is not my favorite food!

I bet your tank will be totally lovely! We are going to moving in the spring into a huge house (7 bedroom) but we only need 5 bedroom so we are going to take a room and make it into a room for our dragons and roaches! That will be sooooo much fun actually.

And remember! If you get a new dragon then you have all that more fun! hahahahaha. I want to wait for these 2 little guys to grow up a little more before I get any more - They seem to constantly eat me out of roaches. Spaz eats more then anything I have ever seen in my LIFE. I measured him tonight? 13 inches...sigh...I swear he is growing WAY too fast!!!

10. SpookyCheerios

Dracarys just reached 13 inches too! I measured her yesterday xp. I am really jealous of your lizard room ={ my goal is to someday have a house in general, let alone one with so many rooms xD. If I do though I really want a tegu...but that's another story entirely.

Enclosure building got put back for a few days due to the hurricane -.- so we haven't actually started building yet.

11. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Oh nooo, did the hurricane hit you really badly? I hope everything is ok! I can't wait til we move because its a lovely room for everyone and I can build cages onto the walls and use one of those rolling ladders to get to everyone easier. I want them all the have huge airy tanks with many layers of temps and basking.

*random note* hahaha Spaz is sitting here playing with the thermometer the kids threw in his tank. hahaha its funny

12. SpookyCheerios

It didn't hit us too bad, but we lost power for 12 hours and there was some damage to our home (the storm door got ripped off and went flying).

However, it was really rainy and windy so we couldn't get outside to work on the enclosure for a few days.

*Random note #2* Dracarys HATES the probe on her thermometer and will actually swat it off of her basking spot with her hand xD

13. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

WAA HAAAAA At Dracarys (sorry I know its random off topic and I will most likely get in trouble but WAAA HAAAA that is as bad as Spaz running from a pinhead cricket WAAA HAAAAA.

But I am glad the hurricane didn't cause too much damage!

14. SpookyCheerios

Looks like construction won't start until next week-ish as the rain isn't going to be letting up anytime soon.

Dracarys has NO fear of crickets lol, she will literally try to jump into the container I use to carry them to her tank and get at them before I even get my hand in the tank. She acts starved every time I feed her and eats at least 60 or so crickets per meal >.<

15. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

lmao If I set a cricket in front of Spaz's cage he will run to the other end, hissing and puffing the entire time. Even a pinhead!! Seriously!! But I am rather glad because I hate crickets honestly. I am trying to think in cricket terms what he would eat...An adult dubia is 8-10 large crickets if I remember..Soo that would be 4-5 large crickets per roach..he normally eats about 20-25 roaches at a sitting? He would 50 at a sitting if I let him honestly. So yep about the same I guess. Plus his salad of course. I mix turnip, collard, mustard and dandelion greens together and then add some random beardie friendly fruit or veggie.