This Disappears When Logged In

Making a Custom Enclosure

Discussion in 'Bearded Dragons' started by SpookyCheerios, Oct 26, 2012.

1. SpookyCheerios

SpookyCheerios Elite Member

My father and I are working on a custom enclosure for Dracarys, it will be a little higher than normal because of the space we have to work with (will still be about 4' long, but will be about 38" high). We plan on using insulation and grout to make a false rock background and levels, but I was wondering if anyone else had any other creative ideas to work with the height? I would really like to get some fake plants for the enclosure too, so if anyone has experience with those it would be appreciated ^^.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Use foam and grout to make stairs and platforms so he has extra areas to climb.
    Link: Homemade Platforms

3. geckolover1

geckolover1 Member

it would be a good idea do use that extra height to make a nice, deep dig-gable substrate that your dragon can burrow in. you would be surprised how much they like to dig.

4. SpookyCheerios

I'd rather not use any loose substrate. I use slate tile for the bottom, thanks for the suggestion though ^^

5. geckolover1

geckolover1 Member

You are greatly limiting the potential of your reptile, don't be so closed minded and don't always rely on pet shop husbandry tactics

6. SpookyCheerios

I've seen impaction first hand, I would rather not put my reptile at risk. What you like/choose to do is fine, but don't shove it down my throat please. I love and adore my pets and would never choose to put them at risk. Thank you.

7. geckolover1

geckolover1 Member

If your reptile has the right amount of calcium and a proper basking area there is absolutely no risk of Impaction. Like I said, don't rely on pet shop husbandry

8. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

There's nothing wrong with making an environment safe for an animal. And absolutely no reason to be rude to a person with the animals health at mind. There's not only impaction risk but substrate can get into their eyes.

9. SpookyCheerios

My bearded dragon also has genetically droopy "basset hound" eyes that make it easier for her to get eye infections, I give her eye drops each week, but having a loose substrate is more of a risk than I would like for her. I truly don't see what is wrong with me not wanting loose substrate, I was polite in replying and didn't shove my beliefs down your throat, once again I would appreciate it if you did the same.

10. Majora

Majora Elite Member

I keep my bearded dragon on tile as well. He has a retes stack with multiple basking temperatures, gets the proper amount of calcium, and is very healthy. I have seen people who use loose substrate (as long as it is the proper kind of loose substrate - ie not calci-sand) with great success but it's just not something I want to try right now. I understand the benefits of it and I may want to try it in the future but there's really nothing wrong with using tile. There are benefits to that too and to some people those benefits outweigh the possible risks of using loose substrate. There really is no one "right" way of doing things.

11. SpookyCheerios

Also, not all beardies have an interest in digging. I have thought of making her a dig box or something, but she has never even attempted to make a digging motion on the tile. She is also VERY curious and licks absolutely everything, even the ocassionaly stray dust bunny that we miss.

12. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

The vast majority of owners i talk to seem to use tile. It's popular as its easy to clean and wears down their claws. I use substrate as I like they look of it and I makes sure that they eat out of deep bowls that I check for dirt 5-6times a day. And my substrate is digestible plant material.

13. SpookyCheerios

Yeah, slate holds heat really well too. My baby girls claws get really freaking sharp, so I love the tile. I also love the way it looks ^^

14. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I personally don't like the look of tile but I do like its uses. The temporary cages I use for rescues are all tiled and it is extremely to sterilize in between rescues. It is also great for icu tanks as it does keep the heat and easy enough to clean with harsher chemicals that don't soak in to the tiles(atleast the ones I bought). I just prefer for most of my cages to be more natural looking as thy take up an entire room that is kinda the center of the condo.

15. Vers

Vers Elite Member

While I'm not against all particulate substrates I personally prefer tile--I think it looks great!
    6643534543_b153800e0d_z.jpg

Attached Files:

16. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

17. SpookyCheerios

Plan is done, wiring all planned out. We go buy the wood tomorrow and begin building ^^

18. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

That is great. I cant wait for pictures!

19. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

Hi Spooky!
    I have tried the wood and plants but it didn't go so well. I finally ended up being creative and built a little tree and a fencepost (ok it sounds goofy but they LOVE IT).I made the little tree out of a smallish stump, some good size branches. I used dowel pins and non toxic glue to hold them together. The lesson I learned making it? use long dowel pins!! hahaha. The fencepost is an old stump that is maybe a foot across in diameter and it is held upright by a long screw through a heavy flat rock. Pain to drill let me tell you! My guys all love a hammock too. Just make sure there is something they can use to get off and on it.

And everyone who is fussing about substrate? To each his own - Spooky has the right to choose what he/she uses for their dragon. I personally don't believe we have the right to tell him how to care for his/her pet. Each type of material has pros and cons that can be debated for the next 50 years and ultimately and largely it is choice and the beardie itself. What works for one, might not work for another.

20. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Tiger ivy it is mandatory that a pic is included with the instructions! :p ok not really mandatory but it should be!