This Disappears When Logged In

Makeda

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Makeda, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Makeda

Makeda Active Member

So I just wanted to say that last night Keda ate a Prawn, and extremely enjoyed it!! he devoured it really quick, he loved it! he has also taken a very big liking to Dandelions this summer too!! :D

2. Ahura

Ahura Elite Member

I can't believe he's eating dandelions lol. Couple days ago I had a lobster that was 6 pounds. The claw was twice the size of my hand. LOL. I bet Keda would have enjoyed that. :p

3. Makeda

Makeda Active Member

Hahaha yeah, he probably would have!! :) it would be fun to watch, maybe one day :p

4. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

What are you feeding dandelions to?

5. Makeda

Makeda Active Member

Savannah Monitor, not as anything but a treat though...

6. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I didn't know Monitors ever ate vegetation... That's odd.

7. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

They don't are you sure he is eating dandelions I have heard of them eating bananas but that was in a book that was written almost 20 years ago and I believe that it was directed. Monitors are carnivores/scavengers they generally don't take plants in their diet.

greg

8. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I hate to make a comparison to dogs again but perhaps it is stress and vegetation calms the stomach, such as with dogs????

9. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

most animals will instinctively eat things they need (deficiencies maybe?) - dogs are a good example, but I have not heard of it in exothermic creatures. Not to say it doesn't happen, just that I haven't heard of it.

Do you use supplements with your monitor at all?

10. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

I'm sure that my sav would eat dandelions if they moved or had the taste or smell of meat. I have heard of people rolling a grape past a monitor and it eating it. But again that is a movement thing.

I however can't really see a downside to a sav eating veggies. It could cause gas and bloating, But I really don't know.

It seems logical to me that when they capture their prey in the wild, They would inadvertantly get some plant matter in their mouths along with a little dirt that would provide some mineral content.

11. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I agree.

12. myo

myo Well-Known Member

It is noted in at least a couple of books that some monitors will accept fruit and vegetation. There is one species of monitor that regularly incorporates fruit in to it's diet but I can't remember it's name.

13. gbassett

gbassett Elite Member

The book you are referring to is Micheal Basil(I hope I got the name right)guide to owning a savanna monitor the book was written in 92 and it has since been discredited. The Grays monitor does eat fruit but they are protected and you can't get them.

greg

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

There are only two known frugivorous varanids...V. olivaceus and V.mabitang, the other species, as far as is known, are STRICTLY carnivorous... Why are you trying to feed vegetable matter ?
    They will not digest plant material...

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I agree, even lions eat grass to calm the stomach but it is not necessarily stress related and lions are STRICTLY carnivorous.

The point is not to digest it but to help getting rid of what ever that is inside, helps them throw up.
    Plant matter should definitely not be fed as a treat to a carnivore.

16. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Linky these are NOT lions, and why on earth does the animal need to "throw up"??? They are monitor lizards, the keeper is obviously feeding quite regularly: (Quote) " As a treat this summer". This is against ALL recommendations for the carnivorous varanid species diets. Deliberately offering vegetation even irregularly should NOT be done. Where are you getting your information on feeding varanids?? ( To Makeda).

Please explain the pro`s and cons with regard to feeding a strictly carnivorous varanid vegetation on a regular, ((Quote) " As a treat this summer", basis??
    Thanks!

As far as I`m aware, there`s absolutely NO information on, or recommendations regarding varanids, that states vegetation "calms the stomach" in these animals??... Who said "Makeda`s" monitor was stressed?

17. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Stefan? That is exactly what I said, my word, of course I know a lizard is not a lion! I just explained why a carnivore will eat plant matter, somebody seeing it might think - ahh - he is actually a omnivore, whereas it is only done for medical reasons.

Plant matter should never be given to a carnivore.

18. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

So it could exist, it's just that you don't know about it. :p

I don't think it's a far stretch since the two are both carnivores.

I believe his Savannah was a new acquisition of late so being stressed would definitely be fairly certain.
    I've never heard of this happening either. But how many captive monitors have access to fresh vegetation?

19. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

There is a GREAT difference between a varanid ingesting a little vegetation in the act of swallowing. subduing a prey item, and deliberately feeding this material on a fairly regular basis! Perhaps we should advise the iguana owners to offer mice, rats, chicks, fish etc, etc,. as a "treat" during the summer?? It has been shown that iguanas are totally vegetarian... the same as it`s been shown that the vast majority of species of varanids are strictly carnivorous.... For what reason would anyone wish to try and prove otherwise, in the face of the overwhelming evidence to the contrary?? Once again, no Homo sapiens will become ill/die as a result.... I`m certainly NOT accusing "Makeda" of deliberately trying to harm the animal, merely he/she needs to look at the available information on suitable/recommended foods for these animals....)

20. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Mike, perhaps you could start offering YOUR animals vegetable matter, and let us all know what happens? :p
    P.S. Just to be sure.... stop feeding meat/animal products for a week or two, then at least the animals should be hungry, before offering the vegs.!! (Seriously).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.