This Disappears When Logged In

Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Care

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Dan01, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I'm thinking about buying a few adult hissing roaches, to keep as pets, and also maybe to breed as feeders, but I couldn't find anything about the male-to-female ratio if I were to plan on breeding them. I'm planning on getting on male, and maybe four or five females? How similar their care is to that of the dubias? Thanks.

billrogers likes this.
  2. Kristof

Kristof Well Established Member

I would do the same male-to-female ratio as dubias. So like 1-3 or 1-5.
    I posted some stuff about these guys in another form, I'm just gonna copy and paste that here lol :

I have kept these guys in the past and here's what I would have to say about them:

I would buy them from here Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches
    Super cheap, $1 per hisser. I've always had good experiences with this place.

They can climb glass and all that. You'll need a thick layer of Vaseline around the top of the cage. I would do 5" of it.

They can be fed to what you have, but honestly I would recommend dubia roaches.

For housing you're going to want a large tub or something like that 20 gallon. I would use something like Eco earth for a substrate as they do require a fair amount of humidity, and the nymphs like to burry into it.
    Provide them with a few pieces of cork bark for them to hide under as well.

As for their diet I would recommend veggies & some sort of roach chow. You can provide them with water crystals for water.

Overall, if you are wanting them as pets, they're really cool and interesting. However, if you are wanting a feeder roach I would highly recommend dubia's over these guys. Best of luck with whatever you decide :)

3. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I already have some dubias and just want a bigger variety for my Beardie's diet. But, as I'm leaving on a several month trip, I guess the people who are taking care of my animals and insects didn't want one more thing to look after. Oh well.