This Disappears When Logged In

Lucy And Ricky!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Treemarie, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

I wrote this in another thread, read it and start it with them. ;) Your igs sounds very easy to me so if you follow the steps you will pick her up in no time, he will take a bit longer, I think.:)
    http://www.herpcenter.com/monitors/24286-handling-13.html#post230069

Hope it helps.;)

2. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

ya know I am seeing their different personalities since I have separated them....she now is the one who is alittle sketchy...he will let me in the cage just pretty much watch what I am doing and just hang out...he is really the kind and is very cool...she seems to have more personality changes then him..somedays she lets me do some light cleaning sometimes no....but the one thing she does like when I feed them is she like when I get her started by like hand feeding for a minute then she is on her own...he says **** no I can feed myself... as far as pickin them up I am nervous god what if I drop them and away they go....I have some friends who are familiar with iggys so they will try to be some help;;;thanks again

3. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

If you drop them, where can they go? are they on a patio that doesn't have walls?

If they are in a room with walls, then if you drop them all you have to do is catch them and pick them up again. iguanas are really hearty and if they jump normally they land where they mean to. In the wild iguanas will jump from the tops of 100 foot trees down into the rivers.

If they are out side, it might be good to have help.

to carry them the first time just be sure you get a firm grip on the base of the tail (like one finger infront of back leg, and the rest behind the legs.) and a firm grip around the chest. If you can grip the front legs in your hand, (sholder/upper arm not the lower part) they can't really scratch you, or run. Make sure that you position your self so that all the tail can hit is your back, it hurts a lot less than the font!! (meaning hold them more to your side and close to your body, than arm stretched out in front of you it makes you weaker, and their tail stronger!)

Once you get them indoors you can take it to the bathroom and let them sit on your lap, and explore and maybe even a shower! as soon as you can loosen your grip on them as that probably isn't the most comfortable way of being held, but if you fear dropping them i find it is the best way to over power them.

4. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

Oh my goodness...they love to be spritzed with the water bottle...she loves it..yesterday I was takin turns spraying both of em they were so funny...following me in there cage..She willl just lay there and close her eyes like she is so relaxed and when i stop she trys to get closer to me from the inside of her cage...I really can tell now that they know who they are...they can see me when I get home from work and I swear they give me a head bob when I first go visit them...she lets me pet her...she likes to be hand fed...he not as much...i go to hand feed him to gain his trust and he just like puts his head in the air and looks the other way...but my female seems to just wait for me to come visit her..she is really cute and him....well he is just the King...lol...quick question...is it okay to give them bananas every once in a while...I did and she loved it...couldn't get enough....also what about a slice of cheese ?? ?don't wanna give them anything that will hurt them...thankx again....

5. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

NO CHEESE. Sorry to be so abrupt. NOTHING with animal protein. It will ruin their kidneys. I would use bananas only as a treat once in a while.

6. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

Okay nooo cheese!!!! Lol thanks thats why i love this site...learn something new about my new friends everyday...why bananas only once in a while?? They are not good for them?

7. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

They are iguana candy. They are ok to give once and a while, if you eat a banana every day, you can feed them every day banana but like 1/4 of a bite that you would take. And you get the rest :D bonus!

8. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

So they have no nutritional value for them? Hmm that's interesting...thanks...no wonder they really like em...lol...but once in a while I got it...

9. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

They have some nutritional value but is not a good thing to put in often in their diet. But it can be offered sometimes... as stated. My iguana is big enough and eats enough that she gets a whole baby banana every once and a while (those little bananas that are 2-3 inches long) Also, bananas aren't ripe until they are browning quite a bit, which is past how we like to eat them most of the time. Iguana's like them better ripe with lots of brown on them when they are extra mushy

10. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I did not know that...

11. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Yep, lots of the food we eat we don't like ripe like animals do. Most animals like their apples mushy as well. If you bruise an apple and cut it and set it out by an ant hill, along with a non bruised one with a slice cut out you will find ants along with flys and other animals wanting the bruised one long before the fresh nice cut one.

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The problem with bananas is the calcium to phosphorus ratio. Bananas are too high in phosphorus to be fed often

13. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

Does this apply to mangoes and papayas and kiwis and stuff too? I always put them in Tito's drawer in the fridge (yes, he has an entire drawer to himself haha) so that I can give him some here and there, but out of sight=out of mind, and I usually forget about them...and they get old...and I throw them away and it is a waste. :( So I could have been feeding him the over-ripe (not rotten though of course!) fruit all along?!?!

14. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Kermit has a whole shelf in the fridge! Yep he will probably like those over ripe just under rotten. Do they like kwiwi? i never have given it to her.

Thanks for the banana is not good often reasoning... I couldn't remember other than don't give often... :)

15. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Forest used to like mangoes whether it was fresh or not. He did not like over ripe papayas and he did not really care about kiwis.;)

16. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

my boyfriend got a box of 15 mangos for $3 this last week! which is unheard of around here, I hope he lets kermit share a little (my boyfriend likes mangos more than kermit does!!)

17. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

As far as I know, that is unheard of almost anywhere!

18. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

My ig must be the only one who does not care for fruit. I still give it to her but she really don't care much for it.

19. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

Mine likes some better than others. Mine will eat everything in her bowl though not at all fussy

20. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

If I live long enough I would love to have a girl like Kermit.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.