This Disappears When Logged In

Lucy And Ricky!

Discussion in 'Green Iguanas' started by Treemarie, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

Finally got some pics posted of the iguanas...my daugher put her camera in the cage and took the pics...they look a lot bigger in the pics than in person...lol..Tree

2. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

Cute ig's :)

One thing tho, that enclosure is WAY to small for 1 ig let alone 2

3. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I agree, MUCH too small. One ig enclosure should be 4 x 4 x 6 FEET. Make it twice as big for 2.

And what are you feeding them? It looks like romaine? Their diet should be mainly of mustard and collard greens. Romaine is useless for them.

4. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

I don't see any pics?
    Oh they are in the gallery. found them. yep too small and it looks like they could get really hurt on it as well. They also look dehydrated

5. schlegelbagel

I agree on the dehydrated aspect. Their skin is all wrinkly.

6. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

We are right now putting 2 cages next to each other and trying to figure out a way in which if they want to they can get together...something like a tunnel...kinda...lol...I have only had them 2 wks and thats what my daughter was feeding them...right now I have them on some romaine cause that's what they are used to...also zucchini, yellow squash..some celery leaves..blueberries, melons.cantalope and also dry iguana food...since they are used to the romaine I am trying to wean them off of it...also you say they are dehydrated?? They have a big tub of water in the bottom of the cage....and fresh water to drink so what do I do..?? also how many times per day or per week do they eat? I have been feeding them every day but it doesn't seem like they are into it every day? Sorry if I sound clueless, but with some things I am....thank you..

7. schlegelbagel

Soak the dry iguana food in water and use it as a salad topper. Otherwise the food is actually stealing water from your iguana. Their diet should consist of 90% dark leafy greens, like mustard and collards. Make the switch now, just dive right into it. I bet they eat it just fine, and if they don't mix it in with the romaine and start cutting the romaine back. Fruit should only be used as a treat. Celery is worthless (its just water) and try to add in some green beans.

Here is what our care sheet says about diet:
    Green Iguana Care Guide (Iguana iguana) - Reptile Information - Caresheets Database

Greens
    Collard Greens
    Mustard Greens
    Dandelion Greens
    Turnip Greens
    Escarole
    Chicory
    Parsley

Veggies
    Green Beans
    Green Peppers
    Squashes (most kinds)
    Snap Peas
    Zucchini

Other
    Alfalfa Pellets

Note:
    These foods form the base of your iguana's diet. Turnip, Escarole, Chicory, and Parsley should only be fed with Collard, Mustard, or Dandelion Greens. Alfalfa pellets should be moistened.

Pick up this book, and read it again and again. James Hatfield's "Green Iguana, The Ultimate Owners Manual."

And you don't need to link the two cages,. They are not friends. Iguanas are solitary animals. they only hang out together right now, because they are forced to. There is only one top of the cage with light after all.

8. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

One to a cage is sooo much easier. Infact I would cover the side between them so they can't directly see each other they may charge the side of the cage to fend the other off. stressing both of them. Switch now. You can soak the greens in water as well and it will soak up some that will give iguana some when they eat. Their humidity also needs to be pretty high.

they should eat every day. Fresh foods. Check your iguana dry food see if it contains any bugs, or animal by products. If it does, throw it in the trash can. I only found one brand at the store that doesn't contain animal protein and they shouldn't ever have any.

9. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Iguanas do not really drink water out of a bowl, therefore their food must be soaked and the humidity in the cage must be high. Just having a water tub and a drinking bowl won't fix the dehydration problem. You can also mist them with a spray bottle, my iguana loves that.

If they are not eating everyday then I would say it is because they are stressed. Not only do they have a new owner but also the fact that they are together. Animals do not stress the same way as what we do and therefore you don't see it. It takes a trained eye and loads of experience to notice when something is wrong.;) Negative stress is very bad and can cause them to become ill.

They will also stress when you change the enclosure but it is a positive stress and therefore good.

You also mentioned that you hand fed them. You should only hand feed treats, like a flower or fruit. If you hand feed their normal food they will expect you to do it every time and actually refuse to eat otherwise. It can take up to 6 months to ween an iguana off hand feeding.

Good luck.:)

10. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

I know you guys know what your talking about...but to see them together it really seems like they like each other..lol..they have been together for so long..Your really telling me they will not be lonely if I separate them...forgive me if I sound a little dumb on this matter...lol...I am changing their food to make sure they get what they need...but now I ask myself WHAT DID I GET MYSELF INTO!!! My kids are smart they knew once these guys came to my house they will be well treated and I am trying my best..As far as hand feeding...I don't do it often...only when I first put there food in I try to just feed them a little bit so they get to know me..its pretty funny cause as soon as I open the door they just close their eyes and are waiting for me to stroke them...its pretty cute...I have also found out that where they were kept before I got them they didn't get enough sunlight...There color is starting to get back to a nice green now that they are in the Florida sun...they love it...thanks guys...and you say they do need to eat everyday even if I put the food in the cage and they sometimes only pick on it???

11. dannigd

dannigd Elite Member

Yes they do need to eat everyday. And they will probably be picky eaters since they where not given a variety of food. Just keep giving the food to them they will eventually eat it. My ig picks at her food at first and then about a half hour later will go eat the rest.

12. schlegelbagel

Florida sun is the BEST for them. Better than any UVB light you can provide. If you can give them access to sun for a few hours a day that would be great!

And no, they won't miss each other. We promise.

And they should be offered food every day. They depend on us for eating, and if you were hungry but wait... you can't eat until tomorrow? not so fair huh? Its all part of owning an Ig. They can be little brats.

13. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

If your igs close their eyes when they see you open the door, I'm sorry but it is most likely that they are going to their happy place and hoping you go away. Iguanas do that. You are a new owner and they won't trust you yet. You will see a biiiiiiig change when you give them separate big enclosures. Chances are they will feel a lot better and have a streak of spunk.

14. Beardie

Beardie Elite Member

About the feeding, yes they need to be fed everyday. Some days they may be hungrier than others, that's all.

15. Treemarie

Treemarie Active Member

Oh that's great...lol..I thought that when they closed there eyes they kinda looked content cause that's when I pet them and they seem happy...they have never been fresh to me or gone after me..hissed or anything else...today when they saw me I kinda felt like they knew it was me...is 2 wks too soon for them to know who I am?? They do like it when I stroke their heads and seem to enjoy it or am I just imagining things>> lol..

16. shwknight

shwknight Elite Member

They are getting used to you and if they let you pet them then I would say to continue since I think it will help them realize that you are not a threat.

17. Kendalle

Kendalle Elite Member

yes keep doing it, however don't be surprised if they start running from you. They are good at fooling us into thinking we have tamed the beast and one day they aren't, when they run they are actually more comfortable than before sometimes.

18. Ibrahim

Ibrahim Elite Member

Hey, lovely iguanas. When they close both their eyes as you stroke them it means they like it, they feel relaxed and enjoy it. If they close their one eye, it means they are ignoring that side and prefer if it was gone (most cases they close their one eye at you, the owner). two weeks is good, its seems like they are getting used to you. This can all change though, iguanas can be the cutest and tamest creatures there is one day and the next they are servants from **** sent down to torture you. Trust me I know. It will take a few months for them to really get used to you, their surroundings, etc. and it would make this process much easier and faster if you separate the two, they will not miss each other, that's the least of your worries.
    Best of luck.

19. Ace

Ace Elite Member

Also they maybe picky eaters now but wait until they get a couple weeks of that sunshine under their belts and then they will more than likely CHOW DOWN!

Please keep in mind the better they get too feeling and the more comfortable they get, it's a good chance they will act a lot less "tamed"!

Good luck! They do look good right now, one good way to get them rehydrate is too feed them watermelon I stole this Idea from Kendalle! Thanks again!
    But remember that fruits shouldn't make up to much of their diet.

20. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The closing of the eyes thing is a de-stresser. Like "if I can't see the big monster it isn't really there!"
    Its fine to hand feed anything occasionally, but don't make it a habit or they will come to expect it and not feed.
    They need to eat daily. Right now they are in a new place and may not be feeling up to par but that will change. They can put a way a LOT of food!
    They may act calm now but don't expect it to stay that way. Many times iguanas coming to a new place act subdued and it fools the owner into thinking that they are docile.
    Then they get their bearings and start to act like real iguanas and all bets are off!

And I would definitely separate them and NOT allow them access to each other when you are not there to supervise. It would not be the first time someone came home to a bloody mess in a cage that previously housed iguanas that "Had always got along fine!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.