This Disappears When Logged In

Lucky bamboo

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by DeadInTheBasement, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadInTheBasement

DeadInTheBasement New Member

i was wanting to put some of this in the enclosure i will be putting an asian vine snake in in a few months but i heard that when lucky bamboo is imported to the US it is dipped in fungicides.can fungicides be rinsed off?
    thanks

2. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

to my knowledge lucky bamboo absorbs moisture rather well. i would be nervous using it. Maybe soaking it for a while with changing the water daily ?

3. morbid

morbid Active Member

Good to know is.. That the "Lucky Bamboo" is not a Bamboo at all. It´s actually a Dracena sp.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Correct!
    And just for the record ALL plants that are imported into the USA are fumigated with fungicides and pesticides.

5. ajvw

ajvw Subscribed User

For what it's worth, I used a piece of lucky bamboo in with my crestie for a while, and she seems to have suffered no ill effects. I did rinse it well. But I didn't know that it could pose a danger... I suppose that she could have suffered from it in some way I can't see now... She has lots of plants in her tank, mostly all from a commercial nursery, and I imagine a number of them were imported rather than propagated domestically. I do rinse thoroughly before putting them in, but perhaps that's not enough.

I will say this about lucky bamboo: it just grows UP, and fairly quickly, so it probably won't be long before it's too tall for your enclosure. You can attempt to prune it back, but may just end up killing it that way. Of course, it's fairly cheap and easy to find, so you could always just get more...

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I rinse off all my plants well before using them, and I transplant them, discarding the soil and pots they came in. Even after all that I quarantine them for a while before using them.

Be sure and let us know when you get the vine snake though! This is an awesome species, I have one myself (hence my avatar). If you're lucky you may be able to wean yours onto mice. It's way cheaper than lizards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.