This Disappears When Logged In

Low Humidity Herps And Reusing Tank

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by Taiga93, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

I moved my boa from the glass terrarium he came with to a pvc enclosure to get better humidity/temps. I was going to sell the terrarium but after I cleaned and disinfected it and got rid of the top (old mesh covered with wood, probably an attempt to hold humidity), I got to thinking- maybe I could use it for something else down the road?
    Is there a low humidity reptile that would do well in a glass 4x2x2 with a mesh top? It doesn't hold water as far as I can tell. Also my boa had an r.i. so would disinfecting the enclosure and placing it in another room away from him be enough, or should I toss the whole thing? I'm not sure how tenacious reptile germs are outside the body and I wouldn't want to risk getting another pet sick accidentally. If it's possible to transmit, then it's just going in the trash. He is mite free and parasite free per the vet, he just has the r.i. Obviously quarantine and take precautions etc. Thanks!!

2. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

You could modify the top so that it retains heat and moisture better.
    And yes after a good disinfecting it should be safe, I usually spray my down with a diluted bleach solution and let them sit for a few days before putting anything different inside.

murrindindi and Taiga93 like this.
  3. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

Awesome! Yeah it's been pretty thoroughly scrubbed and may get another good scrub or two. I was thinking a bearded dragon or uromastyx. Probably not for some time but I figured why get rid of a good tank?

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, Bearded dragons require a moderate amount of humidity (contrary to popular opinion) and a screen top will not offer that, it will also be difficult to stabilise the temps.

Taiga93 likes this.
  5. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

Thanks for the input. Still learning. What would you recommend for beardie humidity? A lot of the caresheets seem to minimize the importance of it.

I'd say my next choice is uromastyx, but I feel like their temperature requirements are even higher than bearded dragons so it's back to the drawing board. I feel like it may be a bit too small for any tortoise species and way, WAY too small for monitors of any kind. Might be best to sell. My boyfriend wants a king snake but it'll probably go in a pvc enclosure as well after quarantine since they stack.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I would recommend a humidity range of between 30 to 50%+, the important factor is having the "range". In the wild Bearded dragons live in a variety of habitats, some quite arid others not so much, in some parts at times the humidity can be 60%. Many (most?) caresheets are "written" (often just copied from others) by individuals that have never seen a wild dragon or visited the areas they live in.
    Uromastyx do require higher basking surface temps, but that shouldn`t be difficult to achieve if you made a solid top (plywood/similar).

Taiga93 likes this.
  7. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

I think 30-50 is doable in that enclosure. It was the 60-70% for the boa that was difficult to achieve. I live in the south so humidity tends to be fairly high here but not as much lately due to the winter weather.
    Yeah the caresheet thing is very frustrating. I'm not getting into any more reptiles immediately so I have some time to look into it further.

8. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

You might want to consider just selling the cage and using the funds towards getting proper caging for an animal you really want and have done the research for, rather than just trying to fill an empty cage just because you have it. I had a bad habit of doing this myself in the past, and it typically didn't work out well, or ended up being way more work than it should have been. Now if I fill an empty cage I have lying around it's typically because someone dumped an animal on me because they didn't want to take care of it anymore.

Taiga93 likes this.
  9. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

That's probably the best call. I figured it would work for something but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth to try to make it work.

10. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

It would work great for a full grown female Kenyan Sand Boa...if you are looking for another snake. They are fine at low humidity, and do fine with misting or a shed box only when in shed.

11. Taiga93

Taiga93 Member

It's a pretty big tank for a sand boa but it might work.

12. Midori

Midori Elite Member

More space is better for pretty much any animal. Just because a stall for a horse to live in is recommended to be 12-foot x 12-foot stall does not mean I subject my horse to that. I currently feel guilty I locked up my pony sized horse in a stall that sized + she has another at least 30 x 12 feet space attached because she can't be on the rich pasture without her turning into a porky pony.

Darkbird and Taiga93 like this.
  13. Darkbird

Lmao at "porky pony"

Taiga93 likes this.
  14. Midori

Midori Elite Member

She really did turn into a 'porky pony' though a little over a week of limited food she is doing much better. Though I suppose it really is a funny way to describe a horse. XD

Darkbird likes this.
  15. Darkbird

Yep, it was just the phrasing mostly, conjured an image of a small horse too wide to fit through a stall door, lol.

Midori likes this.
  16. Midori

Midori Elite Member

That is a very funny mental image~