This Disappears When Logged In

Lost Our Rainbow Boa

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by erinshaneb, Dec 14, 2009.

1. erinshaneb

erinshaneb New Member

I am new here and was hoping someone could shed some light on a problem we had with our Rainbow Boa..We got him about 7 years ago..he lived in a 50 gallon tank..we had heating pads underneath and big water bowl and lots of hidey spots..

The bottom of the tanks was covered in moss that my husband would douse with water once a week or as needed for humidity..For seven years he was healthy, we got him at 14 days old and he has grown to about 5' long..he seemed a little skinny but ate well and was healthy..
    About 6 months ago he seemed to lose some weight and seemed to be a little skinny..then we fed him one day and two days later he threw it up..we fed him live mice that my husband would kill right before he was fed..we would feed him in a feeding box under the tank to be kept in a quiet area..after that we went to smaller mice, thinking the mouse was too big..he kept those down for a couple months, but he still seemed skinny and looked a little unhealthy..

Then it happened again..he threw up a mouse two days after we fed it too him..Not sure why he did it..And since then he has just seemed to deteriate..he did eat again but he never seemed to really gain weight and his coat seemed to have lost the luster he used to have....on Saturday we found him barely alive and twisted in a funny position..almost twisted in half..we lost him about two hours later..

Any ideas what could have happened ??? On a side note i noticed that there were some small centipedes in the moss after we watered it..we called the company and they said it was normal..it was like they "hatched" after a good watering..

Anyone have any experience with this as well ?? Thanks in advance for any insight..we want to get another one, but want to make sure that we didn't miss something..My husband had a ton of snakes growing up and never had anything like that happen...

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Its impossible to say for sure but I would suspect it was internal parasites.

3. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

This is very sad, and I am sorry that your beautiful rainbow boa died like that, seemingly over a long period of deterioration.

Did a vet not see him?

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I'm with Merlin, parasites are common, and in small numbers harmless. A simple fecal test could have determined if your snake needed a de-wormer. (Frozen rodents cannot carry parasites, as freezing kills the parasites and all eggs/cysts). However, a heavy infestation can cause a snake to drop weight for no apparent reason, and a stressed snake will stop eating, and possibly start regurgitating (BRB stress easily, by the way.).

Did you have a hygrometer to monitor the humidity? a lot of times, depending on the cage, you could douse the bedding daily, and still not get proper levels.... A lot depends on environmental factors.