This Disappears When Logged In

Loss of a Companion Please Help

Discussion in 'Over the Rainbow' started by norwegn113, Jul 15, 2013.

1. norwegn113

norwegn113 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, I am in need of some help. I have two older dogs. One is a 14 year old Alaskan Malamute ( male ) and a 12 year old Siberian Husky ( female) These two dogs are completely INSEPARABLE! The female has been with the male her entire life. He is all she has ever known. ( It was very cute , when the male was 2 i brought him to a Husky breeder to make sure he liked his new friend before I brought her home ,but instead he actually went into the litter and dragged her out of the crowd! I guess he made his choice! ) It has been a love story ever since. The problem is The male has gotten cancer and is now at the point where he is suffering and I have to take him to be euthanized to end his suffering ( he is in a great deal of pain!) I am very worried about how his companion is going to take this. I have an appointment on this Wednesday ( 2 days from now ) to take him in. The female already have anxiety issues and im afraid this will send her over the edge? A few people have said to bring the husky to the vets office and after he has passed to let her sniff him. ( its supposed to bring closure) but I don't know , to me that just sounds like a BAD idea??? Im not a dog psychologist though. Does anyone else have any experience with this situation where one dog is let after its mate has passed? I would love some advice as to ideas to help her cope! Right now I'm dying inside, I'm losing my best friend and have to watch her suffer as well! Being an adult sucks sometimes!!! :(

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Well my 10year old boxer had to be put down due to brain cancer and his best friend 11year old lab had some depression Issues including loss of appetite, whining for no reason, and lethargy (well more than usual). So for him I spent more time with him. Took him everywhere I could. Let him sleep on bo's bed or with me.
    Basically lots of extra attention and he seems to do alright now. He is eating and as active as he used to be.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What she said. Be prepared to spend more time with the other dog. There will be a hole if you will in the pack structure that dogs live by. It will be hard at first but as time goes on the dog will adapt.

4. norwegn113

Bandit ( the male that I will be putting down ) is clearly the Alpha in the pack and she looks for his approval in most things she does.

5. bucher70

bucher70 Elite Member

Expect behaviour changes. I personally think its a bad idea to bring both dogs to the vet for euthanasia. It will only make a stressful situation worse for everyone.

6. norwegn113

Thank you everyone for your kind words of advice. Heres a few pics of the boy in all his glory. He was always such a nut! I know that this is a reptile forum but thanks for being patient while I post a few pics of my furry child too! DSC003102_zps5b33271e.jpg DroidXPicturesJuly2011171_zpsa519b33b.jpg DroidXPicturesJuly2011180_zpsa45fad00.jpg

Attached Files:

7. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

So sad. It is hard to lose any pet. Furry or scaly or feathered or anything else. They are part of your life. Your girl will adjust. It will take time like others said. Just spend time with her love on her. Cry with her. Tell her he was sick. He was a beauty. He will soon be back to his glory days. Running and jumping and happy. Over the rainbow bridge. I am sorry you have to go through this. My dog Karma was really old- almost 16- she was a German Shepard and husky mix. We had to have her euthanized in late 2011 and it was very difficult. That is how I ended up with two puppies. My house was so quiet I couldn't stand it. (Even with 6 kids ). And I will never make a decision when I am that emotional again lol. Actually they are fun dogs but at the time I should have waited longer to get another dog let alone two:). But I missed the click click of dog nails on the floor. And the barking. Crazy I know

8. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Oh also never underestimate the power of human food. Have some cooked chicken or carrots (whichever she would prefer) on hand so that you can just give her a piece every now and then- especially if she starts looking really sad then turn it into a training session where you play or have her go through all her tricks and reward her each time. If you can get their minds engaged in something else and reinforce it with food they can work through the pack restructure better. The training activities and food will reinforce that you are the alpha and that your pack isn't going to fall apart now that he is gone.

9. norwegn113

Thala, Thank you , I really like this idea. I never thought about it that she would see me as the alpha! The treat part is the easy part as me and my wife own a gourmet dog treat business ( Mushyface Cookie Co. ) I will go through her training routine a few times with her ( its probably a good idea because she has not had to do that in a Looooong time ).

10. norwegn113

well everyone, he is gone! he passed very peacefully! It was the hardest thing I have had to do to date! I loved that sweet boy! We brought home his collar and the blanket he was laying on . We laid it on the ground and his mate sniffed it then went right to the back door where she has sat waiting for him! Im afraid its going to be a long nite!

11. millerpj

millerpj Elite Member

So sorry! It will be a hard transition for everyone.

12. cassicat4

cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. :( It's good he isn't suffering anymore, but the true suffering lies with the family and canine companions left behind. I hope the advice provided will be able to help all of you get through this.

13. TigerIvy

TigerIvy Elite Member

I am so sorry for your loss, and yes it will be hard for you both but together (and that is the keyword) you will make it through. She can't do it without you, and you without her right now. You have gotten some great advice and I would suggest playing it by ear and seeing what works. Your remaining dog will need an alpha and from my experience you need to take that roll. Human food is a great idea, spending extra time with her, and realize she will mourn too. I don't know why so many think that animals don't mourn - they do but they can't vocally express it like we do. My prayers are with you

14. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Thoughts and prayers. Sorry for your loss. He isn't suffering anymore so you did the humane thing. I know it doesn't feel like it but you helped him. Animals don't like to live in pain and suffering and you kept his dignity. This is a hard time. But time will ease the pain. But I am sure he will always be missed. Each animal has a piece of our heart and it is terrible when we lose them. And I agree- animals do mourn. :) so you and your girl dog can mourn together.

15. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

So sorry about your loss... Engaging in something with her will help both of you get through the mourning a little better. Dogs pick up on your energy and will follow your lead. Had a german shepherd for 12 years so I know what you're feeling losing a friend like that. My heart goes out to you and yours...