This Disappears When Logged In

Looking To Get In To Herping

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by LtgDan, Dec 29, 2018.

1. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

Hey there everyone :)
    A few years back i saved a year old Veiled Chameleon Girl and cared for her for another 6 years. After spending alot of time, money and effort on nursing her back to health and taming her, i like to think i gave her a good life and that we had fun together. She turned from brown greyish to nice vibrant green and yellow even when handling her.

After that i sold my self built Terrarium due to lack of time (which i now have).
    Now, from a friend, i got a Glass Terrarium. Its 150cm long 50cm wide and 90cm high sooo about 175 gallons?

Now im looking to set it up. Just havent quite figured out what i should set it up for.
    I was thinking about Leopard Gecko's or something of the sort.
    Or maybe a cresti or two but i read that the enclosures should be at least 100 cm high.
    I know its not worth the risk and or hassle of keeping two or more in one enclosure so i figured i might put in a seperator and make 2 enclosures out of the one big one. Any Thoughts on this?

Im not looking to rush anything. Im just looking to get more info at this point. Even once i decided it will be at least a few months before i actualy look in to getting a animal. I made the last enclosure bioactive and i think I will be doing so again.

Any Ideas, thoughts, hints or help would be appreciated!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

You could possible put the enclosure on it's end if you want the extra height. I've seen people attach doors on it that way.

3. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

Thanks for the reply. Probably should have mentioned that it's a not just a glass tank it has the built-in sliding doors and vents so setting it upright would be quite the undertaking.

4. kriminaal

Cresties do require more vertical space than ground area but at 90cm high you should be fine. Check out Gargoyle geckos as well for something a little different.
    It's probably long enough to put a divider in and do both. Or some Leopards.

5. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

• Yeah the more I read the more i notice that most use a 24" high enclosure which is about 60cm. I've seen gargoyle geckos and fell in love instantly but I have yet to find a breeder or any pet store that has any all I found was one shady site that only ships pets and they want 350€ for a unsexed animal. Guess I will have to wait until March and see if they have any at the reptile show so I can get in contact with a breeder. But I think I will go with Gargoyle if I can find one, if not I'll just go with Cresties the setup is pretty much the same so I can have it up and running well in advance.

kriminaal likes this.
  6. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

So im currently setting up the Vivarium and i think its looking alright sofar. Still waiting on orders to arrive to set up hides and climbing space and such. Made some vines (ropes packed with aquarium silicon and coco fiber) that ill be putting in once dried. Built my own hood for lighting to save some cash cost me less than 25 € without the lamps in comparison to the 60 to 200€ for the pre-setup ones.
    Now the only issue im having is that my temps are about 4-6 degrees lower than i would like during the day. Its still settling in and may change over the next few days. Humidity is a few points lower than i want it to be too but i think that slightly higher temps would fix that. Currently i have about 72 degrees on the left and about 74 ish on the right. I would like to get the right side up to 78-80 ish. Is there a simpler cheaper easier way to bump the temps or will i not get around attaching a Heatpad or something of the sorts?
    Id love some pointers on the setup sofar aswell but as i said its not quite finished yet.

The Plan is to eventually get either a gargoyle or a cresti once the plants grow in and everything is as perfect as i can get it.

Edit: The gunk looing stuff on my background is moos spores that may or may not do anything over time :D

Attached Files:

7. kriminaal

Aha, always fun setting up a new tank.
    I can't really see the top of the tank. Is it sealed off? Closing up some more holes will likely get your temps and humidity level where you want it.
    For those sliding doors, get some stick on weather striping to seal that gap between. There is a product I forget where I got mine that isn't foam but more of a carpet type fabric.

LtgDan likes this.
  8. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

The Top has a mesh ventilation grate going across the entire length which is about 3 1/2 inches wide. I'll try and see how the temps and humidity change if i close some of it off.
    I was thinking about putting some window seal on the doors, cant hurt to try doing that aswell.
    I'll give it a go and see how things evolve. Thanks man!

kriminaal likes this.
  9. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The more of those openings that you can close of the easier it will be to control heat and humidity.
    Until then you are attempting to warm and humidify the entire room.

Darkbird likes this.
  10. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

I've put some sealant on the sides for the sliding doors and used thin styrofoam that I had to close of about 10 inches on either side of the top vent. With only misting once this morning my humidity dropped from 85% to around 50% within 8 hours and stabilized there on the cooler end so that's a bump of around 7-10% gonna check in the morning to see how far it drops without misting in the evening to get a rough guesstimate and than adjust misting accordingly. Didn't check temps because I had to leave for work somewhat in a hurry.
    I'll check in the morning and report my findings.

11. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

Oh and I finally cleaned the glass (used clean water only)

Attached Files:

12. kriminaal

Looking pretty good. If you get a Gargoyle in there good luck finding it,lol.
    My tank was half the size and some days it took a while to see him.

13. LtgDan

LtgDan Member

I'm sure the gargoyle won't mind