This Disappears When Logged In

Looking For Recomendations

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by oakensiren, Jan 21, 2019.

1. oakensiren

oakensiren Well-Known Member

Also, i have petsmart brand heat lamps (75 and 100 watts) i plan to use on the basking spot (with zoo med 50 watts basking spot bulbs) but recently i read some years ago they had a lot of problems, should i switch the lamps or would they be ok for a while? Also going to get zoo med's reptisun, should i get the 5.0 or the 10.0, and what is the main difference?

2. oakensiren

Finally got bigger logs, this is how it looks like (the enclosure is on its back for the background foam so they seem smaller than they actually are) 20190219_191031.jpg

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I would build a box on top of the unit you have to put in some of the lighting. That way you can close the top off to prevent loss of humidity. This image shows basically what I'm talking about, it doesn't have to be that tall though.
    Water Dragon Enclosure | Reptile Forums - Information

You will have to plan though how to get heat to the bottom. I would suggest something like a heat emitter on a rheostat. Has to be closed off though like the cage in this diy.
    Interior Heating Element Enclosure | Reptile Forums - Information

It's been years or so since I've made a foam background. They might have some newer safer products. I prefer to carve it out. Here's the last one I made.
    Ackie Enclosure Build | Reptile Forums - Information

Home Depot halogen flood lights (wide pattern) are much better than "pet store" heat lamps.
    UV light isn't projected very far in these bulbs so I would do the 10.o and read carefully how close they need to be to be effective. Brands are all different.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would go plywood with the lamps inside. Cutting holes for outside lamps is losing heat and humidity Since heat rises it would act like a chimney.

5. oakensiren

Finally adding the background
    20190220_185826.jpg 20190220_185833.jpg 20190220_185837.jpg

kriminaal likes this.
  6. oakensiren

Probably no one still reading this tread but i want to share how it is going 20190222_225524.jpg 20190222_225532.jpg 20190222_225544.jpg 20190222_225603.jpg 20190222_225555.jpg will probably stop for a week due to exams

7. oakensiren

The ledge on the left with the "cave" is 45cm x 30cm and will be the basking spot, made a little fence around it to keep some substrate so the wood cant be seen

8. kriminaal

Still working on getting the site fixed.
    Not many posting but there are still many visitors reading.

Backgrounds do take a lot of work. Don't rush it, it pays off in the end.
    Good luck on the exams.

oakensiren likes this.
  9. oakensiren

Thanks, havent been able to advance more.
    Also, a friend said it would look nice to change the land and water parts (93 x 60 x 25 for water and 54 x 60 x 25 for land) but i'm not sure if 54 x 60 x 25 will be enough land space for a cwd (it may be, considering logs and a basking platform) what are your toughts on this?

10. kriminaal

CWD are know to like swimming so maybe it's a great idea.
    You could make a platform out of woven branches slightly above the water so he can go in for a swim and have land area. Maybe covering it 3/4 length or so.

oakensiren likes this.
  11. oakensiren

20190223_114653.jpg
    This is how it should look once it is finished (may switch the tanks so the log is in the small one and the water on the big one) any recommendations or critics are welcome

12. oakensiren

Also, i liked your idea of branches slightly above the water, will try it (maybe with some more robust branches), since the water area will be bigger i may use a turtle platform to create safe ways out (along some branches, but i like how the platforms look) images (7).jpeg

kriminaal likes this.