This Disappears When Logged In

Looking For Recomendations

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by oakensiren, Jan 21, 2019.

1. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

Hi again, first of all i want to apologize to everyone that has been helping me over the last year and giving me tips on caring for various reptiles.
    I have a 155cm x 70cm x 125cm tall wood enclosure that i wanted to use at first for an amazon tree boa (but my family hates snakes, so not even corn snakes allowed) then planed to use it on a timor monitor (i saw one 5 yeats ago and fell in love with them) but as of now i am not confident in my skills to take proper care of it and provide enough food, so i decided to get the monitor later when i can properly take care of it.
    That leaves me with a big enclosure, i would like to read suggestions on an animal i could keep in there that is not on the experienced keeper level, i thought about a trio of crested geckos (1 male and 2 females), but i have heard they are highly territorial so it may not work.
    They are on the top of my list of what to get.
    I would like any suggestion (i will take some months of researching before buying anithing) but preferably a tropical lizard that doesnt get to big (bigger than a timor).
    The setup will have a 1/3 water part and 2/3 land (both around 25-30cm deep) and most likely will be heavily planted (depends on what reptile will i be keeping).
    Thanks and sorry for the long post. 20190112_135145.jpg here is a picture of the enclosure (it has space under it to hold a couple of 20 gal tanks if i need to breed any live food), the top was mesh but will be changed to more sealed wood.
    20190118_140551.jpg
    Here is a picture of another setup i have (originally planed for a crested gecko, but i received some green tree frogs and had no other place to house them) the land part should end up like that on the bottom but also have small trees (probably ficus benjamina) for arboreal reptiles.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Not getting something right away? We like to hear that. Rarely happens. It's kind of like finding a Unicorn.:rolleyes:
    Perhaps look at a Chinese Water Dragon. That would be a good setup for one. They are too difficult once you get the humidity requirements setup.

3. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

Thanks, i will start researching them.
    I had one almost 10 years ago that i kept in a 10 gal and didnt even knew what ubv was, sadly it didnt live long and it is the reason i prefer to fully research something and have the set up ready before even thinking about buying it. (A cwd was my first and the last reptile i've had). Hopefuly if i choose it i will be able to keep it right this time.

4. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

Also, i've heard that since they are farmed instead of cbb they may suddenly die even if everything is right, how likely is that?

5. kriminaal

Not sure about that. I've never had one myself. I would think someone in the US must be breeding them.

6. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

I live in mexico

7. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

Ok, right now my options are:
    A trio of crested geckos (if i can have that many in there)
    A giant day gecko
    A trio of gold dust day geckos (same as with crested geckos)
    A chinese water dragon
    A green basilisk
    A trio of flying geckos (same as cresties)
    A timor monitor or a pair of them (highly unlikely as im not sure i have enough experience to take care of them properly)

Is any of the listed reptiles not suitable for the size of the enclosure? (I have read about min. enclosure sizes, but i want them to thrive not just to survive).
    Any other suggestions are welcome

8. kriminaal

Monitors are top of my fav list so I'm a little biased on that. However, putting a pair in there could potentially cause problems. Unless they are sexed and you know have a female/male. If you put a young pair in there and you end up with two males, you could have a social problem.
    I've seen some nice CWD setups with waterfalls and such so I think that would look nice and fit in there.
    It would be a really good size for a menagerie of Cresties. I would think you could easily put more than that in there.

9. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

After reading on all the listed animals i may go for the cwd (this page's care guide is awesome) because it seems easier to tame than the timors and has a lot more care guides than timors (i may also use it to get my family to like reptiles and then be able to get more)(and also use that time to gain experience with larger reptiles for when the time comes to have a monitor).
    I liked your menagerie idea, will definetly get it at some point.
    I also love monitors and would love a savannah monitor, but i think i will wait to have the space and money for it (could build an outside enclosure but havent found a way to heat it in winter when temps go as low as 20°f).
    In the future i hope to be able to build an outside enclosure for the water dragon so this cage is only used during winter.
    Thanks for all your answers, could i message you when i have doubts in the future?

10. kriminaal

I'm not against PM's, but we do encourage questions in the open forum. It helps others looking for information to get answers. We have many more unregistered guests that browse the forums.
    We are very dismal for registered member participation right now as we're trying to update the site safety certificate which is turning people away.
    Usually there's more people on to help out.

Qwerty3159 likes this.
  11. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

I think a water dragon is a good choice for that enclosure.

12. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

Hi again, wanted to know , what plants should i put that are safe for a cwd, since i wont be able to boil or bake big pieces of wood i was wondering if a small tree would be posible (or maybe 2), any non toxic trees that can stay around 1 meter in size?

13. kriminaal

You don't need to boil or bake anything. I've used outside wood for nearly 30 years without any side effects.
    All you really need is some common sense. If a log has visible rot, that is where you could have an infestation of what you don't need. But if it's a log you really want, just carve out the rot. Also inspect and dig out any suspect areas.

If you have access to a kiddie pool or something of similiar size, it works great to submerge the piece under water for a few days and then let it dry in the sun. This will bring out any ants or other aggressive insects.

14. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

So, yesterday i went to a friend's ranch and collected some small and medium logs 20190215_150238.jpg like this one, but they are covered in moss (and i like how it looks) should i leave it on the logs or must i wash it off?

15. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

The wood is from the acacia family (not sure wich exactly (doesnt look like cat ckaw acacia thankfully)) and has some spanish moss (and other unidentified moss) growing on it, after some research, the spanish moss is not venemous (didnt know it can actually be used as bedding) and most of the acacia family seem to be safe.

16. kriminaal

You're fine in my opinion. It adds great realism.

oakensiren likes this.
  17. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

So, the water and land holding tanks arrived yesterday and i can finally start to work on it.
    Will probably add a fake background (spray foam) and waterfall.
    20190219_134031.jpg

18. kriminaal

Excuse me if you already stated it, I looked back and didn't see it anywhere.
    What were you planning to do for doors?
    That is often an overlooked part that if done as a last thought can let a lot of humidity escape.

19. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

Oh, it has glass doors that need keys to open 20190219_144857.jpg
    And for humidity, it has a screen top i will replace with either acrilic or plywood, wich would you recommend? Still not sure if to have the lamp holes cut out or the lamps hanging

20. oakensiren

oakensiren Active Member

And one more question, for the foam background, does it have to be exclusively the "great stuff" or could i use any foam and let it dry for a week at least before cutting/decorating it?