This Disappears When Logged In

Looking For Plans Or Ideas For Sav Enclosure

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Norman619, May 16, 2018.

1. Norman619

Norman619 New Member

I just got a baby sav and looking to build a habitat for it. I am having trouble coming up with some ideas. I am not a builder but can follow directions. LOL Any help would be appreciated.

2. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

As far as decorating and objects to put in it, you can google images that, lots of people have some pretty nice ones (even google tegu enclosures as they are normally about the same size and again people make some pretty nice looking ones).

For the enclosure itself you will need 2x4s and plywood, make a frame with the 2x4s and used the plywood as the walls floor and what not. You are basically just making a 8x4x4 box with a window at the front that can either be glass or acrylic, but glass is better as acrylic can scratch easy.
    Once thats finished you can seal the corners with aquarium silicon (or any other non-toxic silicon) and then a waterproofing paint on adhesive at least up to how high the substrate will go, just in case so the wood doesn't start the rot over time from the humidity.

murrindindi likes this.
  3. Lori68

Lori68 Subscribed User Premium Member

I had put a few progress pictures of my sav cage build that I forgot about up until recently. I hope this is of some use to you with ideas.

cage build - Album on Imgur

Another thing I'm sharing is a cage building guide a really great guy did up for monitor keepers who are in need of this type of thing. He does construction for a living, so his methods aren't going to steer you wrong

Basic 8’Wx4’Dx4’H Enclosure

murrindindi likes this.
  4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Just a note for anyone looking to buy a Sav as well.
    Please don't buy the Sav and then look at building a habitat.
    The OP probably already had a small habitat ready and is looking at the next step.
    Don't do an impulse buy.
    Better yet don't buy a baby Sav.

Lori68 and murrindindi like this.