This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for Emperor Scorpion Caresheet

Discussion in 'Invertebrates General' started by jfogle78, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

I want to buy my husband a scorpion so I need a caresheet and tips on what I will need to buy to get started out.
    I only plan on keeping 1 so what would be the most secure enclosure suitable for 1 scorpion?
    I don't need an escaped scorpion running amuck terrorizing myself, my kids or my reptiles.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Welcome!!!!!!!!!
    I am sure one of our invert folks will be along shortly!

3. beefcakemighty

beefcakemighty Elite Member

I just got my hands on a emperor scorpion about a week ago and I have to say their amazing creatures.
    I keep mine in a 30 gallon at the moment but you can do fine with a 20 gallon. Then for substrate I use a mix of moss and dirt that I mist everyday once before and right after work to help with the humidity.
    I would put two hides on each side of the tank. You don't need a heat lamp you can just use a heat mat for one side of the tank. Also have a small dish with water for drinking.
    Don't be alarmed if you see your scorpions head under the water, for some reason they do that when they get a drink and they stay underwater for a good few minutes.

Feeding is easy too I would start with one cricket at a time to see how many he eats, right now my guy will get about 2-3 every other day. Sometimes he goes a few days with out eating though.

You can give him rocks, small logs and a plants to climb on. Handling is easy once you have them in your hand its getting them out that's a bit nerve wrecking lol, so far I've just been waiting till he climbs on something then i pick the object up and let him crawl right onto my hand.

Still haven't got the nerves to grab him by the tail hehe.

Anyway I think that's about everything I know but hopefully someone else will chime in for you...

4. Ravenous

Ravenous Active Member

The emperor scorpion or imperial scorpion (Pandinus imperator) is a species of scorpion native to Africa (Where I am From!!! :p)
    They live to be about 5-8 years when held in captivity
    Are gentle in nature but their large pincers can draw blood!!

The requirements in captivity are:
    As for keeping them as pets, many people keep these in large 12x12x12 (inches) tanks.They require high humidity levels (above 75%).Substrate for the cage should be of peat/vermiculite mix,and should be at least 3(preferably 4 to 6)inches deep.These scorpions will dig deep burrows if the substrate is suitable.
    REMEMBER: They are Terrestrial,a Rainforest species & deep burrower.
    An open water dish is a must; humidity must not fall below 75 percent! Their diet consists of the following: Babies eat pinhead crickets & other small insects. Adults eat crickets, mealworms, other large insects & an occasional pinkie mouse.
    Not overly aggressive, but however, they can be fast. Their Venom is considered to be of low toxicity. Adults vary between 4.5 to 6 inches in size. (there is dispute over this as some grow to be up to 8 inches!!)
    Temperature must range around 78 Fahrenheit with Humidity of at least 80%. You can use a Broken Flowerpot or Cork Bark
    as a shelter.
    If you intend to keep larger numbers, increase the size of the terrarium so they don't feel so crowded and it will reduce the likelihood of fighting. If you get a rather aggressive individual that doesn't play well with others, separate it from the group. It may kill some of the others.
    Hope this helps!!! :)

5. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

Ok I read somewhere else that you should not use bright lights on them, is this correct? What would be the best way to maintain such high humidity?

6. jfogle78

jfogle78 Elite Member

Well my hubby decided he wanted a tarantula instead. But thanks for the help!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.