This Disappears When Logged In

Looking for Best Reptiles for 2 Tanks Need Ideas on What to Put in Them

Discussion in 'Help *General*' started by snowangel, Dec 13, 2014.

1. snowangel

snowangel Member

i have a 55 gallon tank size wise it is 48.25"L x 12.75"W x 20.187"H that i got from a friend and i dont trust it with fish in it so im looking to get either a ball python or a blue tongue skink in it but i do not know if they are the best fit for this tank if they are not the best match for it would love some other ideas to put in it. for the second size cage i am planning on getting after the other one is finished with reptile in it. the second cage is a 24'x24'x48'tall debating on a mesh or glass still as i want to be open to all that would do nicely in this size of home. open to all possibilities for both homes just need help picking the right reptile or amphibian. would love to be able to handle them so anything that i can hold here and there would be nice and if anything possible any ideas 10 gallon tank that i have sitting around

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  2. Logan

Logan Elite Member

What concerns you about fish in the one tank? Not trying to turn you away from reptiles, obviously. Just wondering why you're worried about it.

3. snowangel

snowangel Member

well they said it had a small leak in the bottom and i put some water in and it indeed had a leak just don't want to take a chance of 55 gallons of water on the floor plus i am going in to school for herpetology soon and the reptiles will really help for class lol

4. SebastiansExotics

SebastiansExotics Elite Member

I love fish. I have a 300 gallon aquarium in my basement with 2 foot long fish in it!

HERE ARE SOME LINKS IF YOU WANT TO SEE MY TANK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhAnaeRM-Nk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG6bhFWKIpA

If it is a silicone leak, You can easily reseal it.

As for reptiles, It is not large enough for a blue tongue skink. I personally HATE 55 gallons because, they are only a foot wide and that severely limits your stocking options.
    A ball python may be ok, I mean, people keep them in tiny plastic bins the size of my tegus water dish, so I do not see why you could not have one in a 55 gallon. But I do not have any experience with snakes so maybe a more experienced snake keeper will chime in.

Personally, the reptile I decided on for my 55 gallon was a colony of sandfish lizards...

Good, easy options would be:
    -A pair of leopard geckos
    -A uromastyx
    -A corn snake
    -A milk snake
    and there are many other options, Those are just the ones I would recommend for a first reptile...

-Sebastian

5. snowangel

snowangel Member

the uromastyx looks pretty cool is there a chance of a pair living in the 55gallon or no? and um what about the tall tank im fixing on getting soon? and its not my first reptile i had a garter snake (someone was gonna kill it at the school) and a few green anoles growing up but mom kinda knocked the lid off and they got out and never found them again well as a tiger salamander for a while that some lady that lived with us said to keep when i found it outside (i released it back once that lady moved out after a few months)

6. SebastiansExotics

I would not do a pair in a 55.

As for the tall tank, DO NOT do mesh. Are you building this tank yourself? I would do a plywood build coated with dry lock so that humidity stays in, with plexiglass front doors. They are honestly the best for MANY reasons. Custom builds are simply the BEST suited for reptiles plus you can build it to fit an EXACT space and add things as ou want them. Plus you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself and of course bragging rights :) For the reptile, If you are looking for an interactive arboreal reptile, I do to know of any friendly interactive ones that are not very advanced and can live in a 24x24x48. A water dragon would be good but they need a much larger enclosure and they are more advanced... For you, I would say go with a colony of Giant day geckos. They are so fun to watch! They are so active and full of personality! You can just not handle them though...

I would use the 10 gallon for crickets... A 10 gallon is not really suitable for any reptile in my opinion cause you can not provide a thermal gradient... A pacman frog would be cool in a 10 gallon...

-Sebastian

7. snowangel

snowangel Member

was gonna go for a plexi glass for the tall but i believe i can do a bit bigger as long as i move some furniture around im not to good with building for my self but i might give it a try its to cold to get any reptile or frog here atm so i got all winter to figure everything out and maybe build my own enclosure for a water dragon.. and im a fast learner when it comes to caring for animals and a pack man frog sounds nice and is there any way to turn the 55gallon on its side and have it s a wider tank

8. snowangel

snowangel Member

yeah i just got permission to take apart the 55gallon and build 3 or more enclosures using the plexiglass from the tank for the doors can maybe get 5 to 6 if im lucky enclosures so any tips on how to do so?

9. SebastiansExotics

Do not do that! The 55 gallon is not plexiglass, It is just regular glass. A water dragon will dive nose first into glass and break it...

10. snowangel

snowangel Member

ok i can get plexiglass then i just want to make it more habitable for them and to have a few reptiles around the place

11. SebastiansExotics

I am confused... are you taking apart the 55? or are you turning it on it side???

Also, how is it to cold for reptiles? as long as you have the correct heat lamps and everything, It does not matter how cold the house is...

Also, water dragons need VERY large enclosure. I do not think I pointed this out. A water dragon will need a 48x36x60 MINIMUM. Your humidity needs to be perfect and you need to purchase a expensive mister if you can not mist him multiple times a day. Water dragons require daily care and need VERY specific conditions in order to be healthy... Many people do not realize how much a reptile like this will cost... I could see the START UP fees for the enclosure humidity heating water building etc. to cost $1000 ALONE. and startup fees are the cheapest part. You will be spending tons of money on food each week. And VET VISITS. My bearded dragons went to the vet last week for a simple pinworm infection and It ends up costing me $400 in bills. You need to take a water dragon to a exotic animal vet AT LEAST once a year in my opinion... Water dragons are VERY specialized animals and I can honestly not see you affording one and being able to properly maintain it correctly- Especially with you going into collage as you stated...

- - - Updated - - -

I am confused... What place are you referring to? Your house???

12. snowangel

snowangel Member

i donno on the cold i mean to travel with any reptile or having them shipped get any reptile home at the moment i guess still new on the shipping of reptiles but was thinking of turning the tank on its side but i kinda want to build my own enclosures as well im sorry im a little all over the place with trying to find the best way to house them and keep them happy and maybe a water dragon isn't the best option then but im willing to make a few enclosures.... and sorry if i get to excited on trying to get everything set up and all

13. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, "normal" aquariums are built with PLATE glass (usually 1/4 inch thick), the CWD will surely NOT be able to break through!?
    Plexiglass is NOT suitable for many medium to large lizards because it scratches vey easily. Again, plate glass is much more efficient.

14. snowangel

snowangel Member

was thinking the glass from the tank would make more homes for other reptiles not just a waterdragon maybe enough enclosures to put a snake or 2 and a few lizards

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  15. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

If you can take the aquarium apart you could use the back and front pieces which are the biggest to make two glass fronted wooden enclosures which should be large enough for a Bearded dragon (only a single animal), and perhaps a Pink tongued skink in the second (Pink tongues are slightly smaller the Blue tongues), if you would be interested in those?

16. SebastiansExotics

Oh ok... For my tegu I was advised to do pleci cayse refular glass breaks.

Also many of the newer tanks are very thin glass as opposed to how they used to be made

17. snowangel

snowangel Member

well i got room to make it a 2 foot with maybe 2 and a half foot and 4 foot long the height would be pretty decent with the height of the tank and i don't mind spending extra for some more glass/plexiglass for a few more or so i also have 2 fish-tank stands that i don't mind converting in to something for reptiles if it is possible Height 28 1/4 x width 38 3/8 x depth 19 3/8 for one and the other 49 1/2" Wide 28 1/4" Tall 19 3/8" Deep think if i can use them as well would be really neat both are plywood and should not take much to do anything to close any gaps in the corners

18. snowangel

snowangel Member

also planning on making them 6 feet tall with maybe 3 enclosures each and linking them at the top so my cats got some roadway from them if thats do able

19. SebastiansExotics

I can not at all picture anynof these plans in my head... Can you maybe post drawings of your plans or something?

20. snowangel

snowangel Member

Image1.png well here is the stand im thinking take the doors and the middle divider out and replacing it with i guess plexiglass and cover the back with some plywood so its one enclosure