This Disappears When Logged In

Looking For An Iridescent Snake

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by Chrysanthemum, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Hopefully there will be someone here who can help me find an answer.
    I already have two wonderful snakes and I am looking to add a third pet. I am fascinated with the iridescent shimmer many snakes can have, and I would like to have a pet with such a quality.

In my own research I have yet to find a captive born snake, under five foot, who will feed on mice its whole life with this attribute. Maybe one of you know of a snake with iridescent scales that meets these requirements?
  2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

I recommend a male rainbow boa (Columbians have better rainbows in my opinion) if you would be willing to go to rats eventually.
    If not, get a sunbeam snake.
  3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

I have a pair of Japanese rat snakes, blue phase Elaphe climacophora, that have a beautiful metallic look to their scales as well as the iridescence that many snakes show. They do stay under 5' and will eat mice their entire lives.
    Here's a pic from 2016, colors have developed much better now:

Dominican red mountain boas do grow a bit larger than 5', males usually 6-7'. Slender bodied, particularly the males, so the length doesn't seem as imposing as a thicker-bodied boa or python species. They're a bit easier to maintain than rainbow boas, and have a variety of natural color phases. My largest female is about 8' long now, and while she isn't as colorful as some of the others shes does have the iridescence similar to the rainbow boas. Here's a pic of a high red male, the most popular color phase:
  4. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

toddnbecks: Your snakes are beautiful! Thank you for sharing their pictures with me.

Can the Dominican mountain boas stay on large mice for their whole lives? or do you have to switch them to rats? How often do they need to be fed?
  5. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

They could be fed large mice, though an adult male would take 2-3 at a time. They also like birds, my largest female and one of the young from the 2016 litters eat quail. (Full size birds for the adult, day-old chicks for the young one.) They eat once weekly until they reach breeding maturity, then they tend to go off feeding for a few months. I have an IJ carpet python, currently close to 6', that only eats mice. He/she (never did sex the beast) refuses to look at a rat, so I have to feed several mice each time. My first carpet python was fed mice until she escaped her enclosure one day. I found her hanging over the edge of a tub of mice that had contained 1 male and 6 (mostly pregnant) adult females. The 6 females had already been swallowed, and the single male was in coils when I found her. I switched her to rats after that, had been feeding 2 mice weekly, but after seeing her take 6 at once I figured I was underfeeding a bit, lol.