This Disappears When Logged In

Looking For Advice!

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by Anarchyofathena, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Anarchyofathena

Anarchyofathena New Member

I have a 30 gallon tank that I created and tiled myself complete with desert rocks and wood. I was planning on putting a steppe runner in the enclosure, but the breeder I had planned to use no longer breeds them. The tank is complete with an area that has substrate along with a few succulents as well. I am looking for a species of gecko or lizard that I can house in this enclosure, which is already set up for a desert species. I do have previous experience with leopard geckos, but I was really interested in something different. I was considering a beardie, but I don't want something that will grow out of the 30 gallon enclosure. If possible, I would prefer something that could live with only a heat pad, but I do have lamps available. I have done a lot of research, but haven't found many species that seem super compatible with my setup so I would love any suggestions!

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Not much commonly available in the trade will be able to stay in that cage permanently. Only thing that comes to mind other than the afore mentioned leos and steppe runners would maybe be a collared lizard. Other than that maybe just hunt around for a different supplier for the species you wanted.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Additionally, most desert lizards are going to require UVB light.

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

You could try looking into American banded geckos, will probably be difficult to find though. They get about half the size of a leopard gecko.

5. Chrysanthemum

Chrysanthemum Member

Maybe an African Fat-tailed gecko? They are very similar to Leopard geckos, they just need a humid hide constantly. They could probably do well in a tank like that with some research on your part. Though many people keep them the same way as Leopard geckos with success.